Minutes

April Board Meeting Minutes

NMMBA Board of Directors Meeting

Date and location: Wednesday, April 10th, 2019. Keen Loft

Board present: Chad Jordan, Kim White, Tim Reicha III, Mike Walters and Steve Mentzer

Board absent: Tom White, John Roe, Tim Jenema, Michele Andrews, Dustin Webb, Cody Sprattmoran and Don Clewley.

Guests: Nate Farran

Chad opened the meeting at 6:30 p.m. There was no quorum present.

March meeting minutes were formally approved.


Financials:

Kim led the discussion on the financials.

Kim had presented the balance sheet for NMMBA. She had designated separate accounts for the different trails. Among those accounts was one labeled General funds.

She indicated that the fund balance stood at $9160.96

Contributing to this total was the revenue generated by the Beard of Zeus fatbike race. Also all costs associated with that race were volunteer generated so no billing went out.

Kim also touched on the Morley fund. Betsy Morley had indicated that some of the monies were to be used for the future pavilion to be located at the Supply road trailhead.

Kim is advocating that the fund be put into a  separate interest bearing account.

As to the pavilion, Cherry Capitol Cycling Club(CCCC) is still interested in contributing to the pavilion. So any discussions going forward should include Bill Danly, president of CCCC.

Other notable numbers from the financials include account balances.

BCE checking acct balance stood at $31,614.94

Bike Leelanau/NMMBA balance stood at $47,038.65

Merchandise Branding:

Nate unveiled the color representing Traverse City Trails Fest(TCTF).

Orange!

Aligns with the DNR and also presents a high visibility to it that will promote safety.

Nate also showed some more apparel samples which will be marketed to the local bike shops(LBS).

NMMBA logo will always be evident on all merch. T’s, cups, caps, etc.

He will present a sell sheet to the LBS.

Looking down the road the LBS will have the technology and capability to sign up memberships in store. Either through an ipad or scanning a QR code on a hangtag.

Nate also proposed logowear for the board members in the form of a vest or jacket. It would be a way to identify board members at functions and events. If we went with this idea the logo would identify and label each “board member” instead of title.

Another idea was using a lanyard with a card inserted to identify each board member. Could be incorporated into branding. More to come.

Nate also proposed the idea of a guided mountain bike service. The idea being that you purchase a membership to NMMBA and are awarded a free guided tour on the VST. These tours would be led by our current members or board members. It would be another way to engage our membership base.

Discussion about eliminating the intimidation factor people have when heading out to ride. These tours would have both a leader and sweeper. No one gets dropped. A bit of history and trail etiquette would also be a part of the tours for newer riders.

This program would benefit both NMMBA and the bike shops.

It was suggested that we start with one shop and grow it from there.

City Bike shop in Traverse City and McLain’s in Cadillac would be the pilot programs.

Nate to meet with the merchandise committee.

Check in with Mark Mueller as to the progress on the marketing doc to be presented to Nate.

MSB update:

Mike led this discussion as to the upcoming MSB race. And what is needed. With trails having been added and re-routed, new signage is needed. Also new maps for the trailhead kiosk are needed. New riders heading out  from Supply will not have current information. Could lead to some lost riders. Safety is paramount!

In other MSB news, race permit is still not in hand. GPX file with new routes should be completed by Monday the 15th.

Strombolis Lake section is complete and just a bit more work is needed on the ditch pickle section.

McLain race team is set to mark the course.

Round Table:

Steve brought the board up to date with the Insurance situation. Received a quote from Fischer agency in Bellaire. Policy premiums are very close in cost. Most likely from quotes coming from the same carrier. Michigan Miller.

Few more numbers have to come in then board will make their decision as to remaining with Larkin or switching companies.

Meeting adjourned at 8:30 p.m.

Submitted by

Steve Mentzer, secretary

Committee reports:

Cadillac Pathway:

finalizing the pavilion over the next couple of months.

Working on Bear Claw Epic-Saturday September 28, 2019.

TCTF:

()  MSB race route review is complete with the DNR.   Awaiting approval. 3

new sections of single track this year.  Look for new/better trail in the

F-Bomb area (just off Special K), Tom's Cruise Down will hopefully be in

this year.  The next phase of Strombolis Lake is complete and rides like it

has been there for a year.  The course will clock in at 23 miles this year

and will be fun and playful mix of single track and open stuff.  Team

McLain is marking the course this year.  Woohoo! Thank you!!!!!!

() Single Track Love Machine Cutting Head is still on track for mid July

delivery.

()  Meeting set up for May 11th to review final phase of Strombolis Lake

with DNR.  Goal is to have the Strombolis Lake trail 100% complete by TCTF.

Total Strombolis Lake trail is just over 4 miles of money shot single

track.  Work will commence IMMEDIATELY after MSB and DNR approval.

Tom

Glacial Hills

  • Spring work day: Saturday, April 20, 10am-1pm meet at Vandermark (see you at Short's after) (*I'm riding my bike out, leaving at 7:30am from top of Holiday Rd if anyone wants to join, hit me up)

  • there are still many trees down on the trail from the winter, they are gradually being cleared by volunteers

  • working on finalizing maps and kiosk signage to place massive sign order to complete wayfinding redesign before summer

  • 1/2 mile connector will be built in the next month as a shortcut for long route between Eckhardt and Vandermark

  • laying groundwork for disc golf course to be constructed this year

    • obtained initial permission from Village and Bellaire public schools to plan/layout course for final approval

  • also in initial planning with GTRLC for MNRTF grant application for property acquisition and trail construction to connect the Village of Bellaire to the trail

Happy trails!


Board Meeting Minutes: March 2019

NMMBA Board of Director’s Meeting

Date & location: Wednesday, March 13th, 2019 Keen Loft

Board present: Chad Jordan, Tom White, Kim White, John Roe, Tim Jenema, Tim Reicha III, Mike Walters & Steve Mentzer.

Board absent: Cotipaxi Sprattmoran, Dustin Webb, Michele Andrews and Don Clewley

Guests:Mark Mueller

Chad called the meeting to order at 6:40 p.m.

Introduction of Mark Mueller

Tom introduced Mark Mueller to the board. Mark is a local attorney who was asked to help formulate an agreement in regards to our merchandise sales.

As stated in the February minutes Nate Farran had come up with some new designs that would be marketed through the local bike shops(LBS).

is agreement would ensure that all involved would be accountable in regards to inventory levels and compensation. And also if agreement is ever ended by any of the parties it would be an amicable agreement.

Mark to prepare a rough draft to present to the board.

Acme Bike Park:

Tim J. had submitted a written update on this project which will be attached to the final minutes. He spoke of some specifics to fill in the blanks.

Tim had assembled some people with ties to the local community to provide input on this project.

They include Nate Farran who has connections with Norte’, Steve Lagerquist who is with the Grand Traverse Regional Land Conservancy(GTRLC), and John Kerkov.

This project all falls within county property.

Tim also spoke of the need for financing. TART has committed $10,000 towards the park and he was seeking a $5000 commitment from NMMBA. Overall their goal is to secure $30,000 and look for matching grants.

There was discussion of possible fundraising methods they could employ. Among those was an adopt-a-berm. Similar to stretches of roads and trails financially backed by different groups. Groups could financially back sections of the trail. Some felt that not all would be on board with this.

Tim outlined that the project would be constructed in phases. Initially it will be hand built and will contain a skills section.

A motion was made by Kim with a 2nd by John to earmark $5000 towards the Acme Bike Park pending approval of the project.

Unanimous vote.

Single Track Love Machine:

Tom filled in the board as to the status of the Single Track Love Machine(STLM).

Rough design has been completed. If given the okay it will be finished by July. As presented the cost of the STLM is $12,087. Quote is not perfect as in if the STLM does not do what we want it to, we are out the money.

It attaches to a ditch witch and because of its movement, that of a roto-tiller, DNR has okay’d its use on the trails.

It measures approx. 19” x 27”.

There was general discussion as to its uses, reconditioning old trails and how it will cut time in making trail.

Mike made a motion to allocate $12,087 for the STLM. Tim R. 2nd the motion. More discussion and then put to a vote. Unanimous.

Strategic Planning:

Tom handed around a strategic planning report he had put together.

This plan is extremely important for our organization moving forward.

It will be ever evolving so that it keeps its relevance for current and future members.

He touched on some of the aspects:

There are 4 strategies. Okay, maybe 5.

-Economic

-Product/Name brand

-Relationship

-Distribution

-Organizational

Each titled strategy was then broken down even further to reflect our mission.

Tom asked for comments on this plan; additions, subtractions, etc. by April 1st. At our next meeting in April these suggestions will be discussed and maybe implemented.

Trail series:

Aspects of the trail series were discussed. Still under consideration was making it a point series.

Pros and cons were brought up in regards to this point.

Age classifications can be its downfall. They would have to be uniform.

Fat bike series was discussed as well. Saw increases in each race. Age classifications were varied per each race. Some had 45+ Masters categories and some races featured more defined age groups.

So, then does it become a participation series? With swag going to all who race the whole series?

Old business:

John Roe reminded all about the Groomer appreciation party to be held at Timber Ridge on Thursday the following evening.

Steve mentioned he had emailed Mark Irwin at the Fischer agency in Bellaire with a request on quotes for equipment and general liability insurance. Still awaiting a response.

Meeting adjourned at 9:08 p.m.

Submitted by

Steve Mentzer, secretary

Attachments:

Committee reports.

Glacial Hills

  • anecdotally, by parking lot observation and social media engagement, this was the best year for groomed trail use in our four years of grooming

    • biking, xc skiing, and snowshoeing

    • GH had very little foot traffic on the groomed trail this year

  • spring trail clean up tentatively scheduled for Sat., April 20 from Vandermark parking lot

  • 2019 will include data collection and communication for 2020 MNRTF grant application to move forward with connecting trail to village of Bellaire

  • need to review draft agreement with Antrim Conservation District re shared employee

    • any potential for NMMBA to hire shared trail maintenance staff in the future?

  • GH board and volunteers plan to have new permanent wayfinding signs with 11 suggested/marked loops (3-4 from each trail head) printed and installed by Memorial Day weekend

    • 1/2 mile connector (shortcut) trail to be built before maps are printed

    • likely mid to end of April, if anyone is willing to help remove some downed trees on the new route with a group, let me know

Bike Leelanau

Updates:

1) Grooming was highly successful this year, most importantly the Winter Sports Trail has facilitated positive relationships with Northport/Omena folks and businesses. Most of whom fully support the trail and the winter business it brings in.

2) When the snow melts, work will resume on the second loop of the Intermediate MTB Trail at Palmer Woods. A 1 mile multi-use trail will be built by Bike Leelanau at the Leland Township property Provemont Pond - this will be an initial multi-use loop to test mountain biking on the property, with potential to up to 7 miles of mtb trails on the property.

3) We are in discussion with Up North Pride and the Bay Theater to co-host a Pride Ride and Movie in Suttons Bay for Pride month.

4) There is a potential for single track to be built adjacent to the TART Leelanau Trail on the northern part of the trail.

Cody

Acme Bike Park-

Attached is site plan concept.

Still working through planning stages to start early this summer building the Blue and Red loops on the site plan. We have a potential of $15k in funding and 2 grants being applied for through Tart and NMMBA. Brick Wheels is helping with a grant applications through Quality Bike Parts Community Grant. We are actively sourcing materials for the skill development area, if anyone knows good sources for flat rocks for rock garden, drops and other features let me know.

Chris Kushman from Tart and I have put together a small committee to help steer this project in the right direction with members from a few cycling groups and the land conservancy, we plan to meet right after spring break.

We plan to work on plans for the re working BMX track area, add skill development area and future pump track.

Tim Jenema

TCTN

1)  The entire network is 3 feet under.  The forecast looks tough for

MSB....as always.  Final race map for MSB is finished and submitted to the

DNR.  Not yet approved.  There will be 1.0 mile of new trail this year and

massive clean up and prep efforts will begin as soon as the snow breaks.

It is gonna be tight timing.....again.

2)  The Single Track Love Machine design and final drawing is done.  Ready

for board review and decision.

3)  VST - the 2019 reroutes are defined, mostly flagged out and the next

section of Strombolis Lake is APPROVED for build out!  The work season for

the VST can begin when the snow breaks.  The parts included in the MSB will

be addressed first.  The parts in TCTF addressed next.  The work in 2019

will make the VST a MUCH better finished product.  Everything tingles when

I think about it.

4)  TCTF - Sponsor package sent to Bob's Furnace for review.  This will

fill the M22 hole.  Meeting at the Ranch being set up to to review the new

beer sale plan and other event/site specifics.  Course route and final map

to be complete by mid April.  Tick tock!!! Flyer to be out April 1.  Sign

up to go live April 15ish.  Social media/website update to happen when the

map comes out (April 15th ish).


January Board Meeting Minutes - The Annual Meeting!

NMMBA Board of Director’s Annual Meeting

Date and location: Sunday, January 6th, Timber Ridge Resort

Board present: Chad Jordan, Tim Reicha III, Kim White, John Roe, Mike Walters, Tim Jenema, Cotipaxi Sprattmoran, Michele Andrews and Steve Mentzer.

Board absent: Dustin Webb & Don Clewley

Guests: members

After a ride and dinner, Chad formerly called the meeting to order at 5:40 p.m.

Financials:

Northern Michigan Mountain Bike Association

2018 Financial Report

Current cash situation reflects 2 solid years of excellent fundraising through our races and events;

Plans for accumulated cash include upcoming grooming equipment replacement as well as pavilions at Cadillac Pathway trail head (under way) and the Vasa Single Track trail

head (each at a cost expected to near $50,000);

New for 2018 we are the fiduciary of the Dan Morley Memorial Fund; current value

$7,908.84;

2018 equipment purchases include:

o new snowmobile for grooming at Leelanau State Park;

o new open trailer for hauling equipment for trail work bees;

o new logo canopy and feather flags;

o a down-payment on a new snowmobile for WSST (coordinating trade in of our oldest snowmobile).

We have donated over $12,000 out to community partners and programs;

Our merchandise is actually profitable thanks in a large way to Nate Farran for designing

the new logo and applying it to merchandise you all apparently want; our president

Chad Jordan for shipping out all the online orders; and Cody Sovis for marketing it online

(and enlisting his brother Wes for modeling);

Our memberships, now processed in-house, has improved by almost 400% (caveat, the

number includes almost half of 2017’s membership funds which were delayed in being

collecting from another source);

Received wonderful, large donations from several family foundations which were

specific to the new Bike Leelanau program and funded the purchase of a snowmobile for

winter grooming efforts at LSP;

Lastly, little of our efforts in fundraising would be as successful if we hadn’t been able to

obtain our charitable status; this was greatly assisted by our new by-laws and articles of

incorporation done by Dan Morley.

Chad then announced that a vote was needed to officially name Tim Jenema to the NMMBA board.

He made a motion to name Tim Jenema to the board. It was met with a unanimous vote.

Chad then gave his president’s message.

Some of the highlights:

Chad spoke about the many jobs he has had. Jobs that came with a paycheck. This was what brought he and his co-workers back every Monday. A great work environment but without the passion.

But with NMMBA it’s different. There are no paychecks but plenty of passion.

Motivation is to ride great trails, build more trails and take care of these trails so they can be ridden and loved for years to come.

The board consists of 11 members who embrace this passion.

Yes, our meetings can run long but what emerges is the imagination of what is possible for those of us that ride in northern Michigan.

He then introduced the members of the NMMBA board:

Tim Reicha III

John Roe

Kim White

Tom White

Mike Walters

Michele Andrews

Cotipaxi Sprattmoran

Steve Mentzer

Tim Jenema

Don Clewley

He then spoke of who is NMMBA and what do they do?

In the past this has been a difficult question to answer.

We are good at both building and maintaining trail but not so good at self promotion and marketing.

This was corrected with the hiring of Cody Sovis. Cody let’s our community know all our doings through social media and blog posts.

Thank you Cody!

With our ever expanding trail networks we created chapters. These chapters needed their own identity. So we turned to Nate Farran to create a brand for our 6 chapters.

Thank you Nate!

These 6 chapters are:

TC Winter Sports Trail

Traverse City Trails Network

Cadillac Pathway

Glacial Hills Pathway

Bike Leelanau

High Country Pathway

Chad then expounded on each chapter as to 2018 happenings and beyond.

TC Winter Sports Trail:

10 dedicated groomers are ready to take care of up to 22+ miles of trails for the 2018-19 season. This has allowed NMMBA to define what a four-season trail can be.

Through our record badge sales this year we have solidified a method to get out grooming reports to badge holders minutes after grooming has been completed. It also has provided funding to obtain the best equipment to keep our trails in their best condition.

Traverse City Trail Network:

Last year brought some revisions to the iconic VST(Vasa Single Track). Some of these changes were apparent at Mud, Sweat and Beers in May. It’s not always easy to make changes to a trail where most got their start in mountain biking. And we listen to each comment, good or bad and take them all seriously.

The soft opening took place at the ribbon cutting in August. It was the first ever Speed of Light and Time Trial and a summer fiesta cookout.

Lots of chicken were consumed, washed down by various libations and lots of stories about summer adventures were told.

Next up was the TCTF. Despite a dismal forecast, bikers of all abilities were able to race a fully supported and marked “unmarked” trail system. This is NMMBA’s biggest fundraiser and it cannot happen without the efforts of our sponsors and dedicated volunteers.

The crew stepped up again when asked to layout the Iceman route. It took a lot of work compacting, grading and re-routing but the result was a fantastic route for what proved to be the Super Bowl of mountain biking. Right here in our own backyard.

Cadillac Pathway:

Often one is asked can one person make a difference? The answer is yes!

In regards to the CP, Michele Andrews has set the bar high with her vision for that trail system.

Like the TCTN, CP lies all within state land. They are paving the way with improvements to the amenities as well as a new soon to be completed pavilion.

The structure is the result of a multi-year process. Considerable paperwork, design approval, insurance, acceptance of concept, contractors, organizing volunteers and working with the DNR have earned Michele high marks in patience and perseverance. Combined with this is trying to raise $50,000 to get it done! Bravo!

The Bear Claw Epic race every 4th Saturday in September contributed nicely to the fundraising in that last years race saw a jump in riders by 115! Now boasting 415 participants.

Also approved by the DNR was an additional 11 miles of single track. The result of a two year process.

Glacial Hills Pathway:

GHP has seen many improvements over the summer.

Parking lots at both Vandermark and Orchard Hills.

Changing rooms, vault toilets and maintenance storage to name a few.

Over 2000 man hours provided by a dedicated crew of volunteers kept the trails enjoyable for all riders and especially the Tuesday and Wednesday rides.

New maps and wayfinding signage to be installed in the spring of 2019.

Added 5 miles to the already 7+ miles for winter groomed snow biking.

Bike Leelanau:

Cotopaxi came on board a year ago and wanted change in her home of Leelanau county. And she stepped up and lead the way.

She partnered with the Leelanau conservancy(LC) to bring the first flow trail to northern Michigan at Palmer Woods. Together they have identified 20+ potential miles of trails to be developed over the next few years.

Working with the DNR BL has provided oversight with their Leelanau State Park(LCP) floating trails.

Provided funding and acquisition of a new grooming sled.

Organized the grooming crew and kicked it all off with a Trail Day party!

Their future vision includes getting more people on bikes.

This will be done through Spring Earth day for kids, establishing a bike library and hosting a series of women’s and coed skills clinics.

High Country Pathway:

Although a bit out of the way the HCP is a real gem. And a yearly clean up organized by past NMMBA president Glen Ruczynski has been happening for over a decade. Over 80 miles of trails await you.

Be sure to put this on your bucket list.

2019 and beyond:

What does 2019 and beyond hold for NMMBA?

A continued partnership with

Michigan DNR

TART

Grand Traverse Regional Land Conservancy

Leelanau Conservancy and

Local municipalities

Projects slated for 2019 and beyond:

WVASA

VST pavilion

CP trailhead improvements

NMMBA emergency response system

Continued phases at Palmer Woods

Master plan contributions at LSP

GH improvements and wayfinding signage

The meeting ended with the awarding of the inaugural Dan Morley volunteer of the year award.

This award had been discussed for months but came to fruition at the December board meeting.

With the help of up.bike an award was fashioned that captured the spirit of the award perfectly. A drivetrain symbolizing the way that volunteers drive NMMBA.

The recipient was was also discussed and the name that kept coming back was Dan himself. His efforts with NMMBA and other organizations around the state will last for years.

Steve presented the award to Betsy, his wife. It was a very emotional moment.  Betsy accepted to a standing ovation. And she gave a brief speech that accurately captured Dan’s passion with mountain biking.

On this note the meeting was adjourned at 6:30 p.m.

Submitted by

Steve Mentzer, secretary


December Board Meeting Minutes

Date and location: Wednesday, December 12th, Keen loft

Board Present: Chad Jordan, Tom White, Tim Reicha III, Kim White, Mike Walters, Michele Andrews, Tim Jenema, Don Clewley, Cody Sprattmoran and Steve Mentzer

Board absent: John Roe and Dustin Webb

Guests: David Leith

Chad opened the meeting at 6:37 p.m.

Financials:

Financials were presented. Account balances stood at $31,454.42 for BCE and $46,578.24 for NMMBA.

Question was brought up as to a dollar figure on the P&L that was labeled over budget. Any implications as it applies to a non-profit. Answer was no. Just a figure that is included in the general fund. If we were a governmental entity there would be some implications.

In other financial news, Iceman submitted a check for race clean up. This check of $500.00 was earned by the  McLain’s Race team but was intended for the Dan Morley fund. Also a check was written to NMMBA from Iceman for race trail prep. It was also $500.00.

Grooming badge sales have hit nearly $9000 for the season! These include WST, Cadillac Pathway, Glacial Hills and Bike Leelanau.

David Leith introduced the group to his company Three Tree Tent.

www.threetreetent.com

He had his product, tentsile tents at Iceman and would like the opportunity to display his product at future NMMBA events. Such as TCTF, BCE, Glacial Hills Challenge and possibly at Beard of Zeus.

David can be reached via email at leither@threetreetent.com

Annual NMMBA Meeting:

Discussion as to how the format should be laid out. Each committee should give a presentation of their year in review.

Instead of individual speakers it was decided to have tables representing each trailhead set up with the respective board member there to talk more in depth about what’s been happening.

With the results of the online survey presented at the last meeting entitled Who is NMMBA?  It was suggested that at the annual meeting it should be presented NMMBA: What we do!

One idea was to empower our membership base to be more involved in our growth.

Ways to accomplish this were to have them be a part of different aspects of NMMBA

These would include membership, volunteer, pavilion, grant writing and merchandise. Each separate committee should enlist at least one current board member. More to follow.

Instead of a potluck style meal it was decided to have a buffet taco bar type setup. Tim R. to get quotes from several food vendors.

Timeline for the meeting will follow this:

3 p.m.: Ride. Ride leaders and sweeps are Tom, Tim R., Mike, Don Cunkle and Erin Reicha.

4:30: Hall set up. Several have volunteered to assist.

5:00 p.m. Meal

5:30 Meeting gets underway with a message from the President, Chad Jordan. With highlights from each trail.

6 p.m.: Chapter roundtable visits.

Presentation of the Dan Morley volunteer of the year award.

We will have our tent set up inside the banquet hall with merchandise for sale. Cody Sprattmoran. to head this up.

NMMBA of the future:

NMMBA of the Future

NMMBA Structure

  • NMMBA board: 2 year terms elected by membership (at annual meeting); officers are selected by board also 2 year terms(not at annual meeting)

    • 12 members (or less? Bylaws state 3-15)

    • Includes chapter reps (1 from each?) plus others that will be actively engaged

    • Committees for what? (merch, membership???)

    • ?

  • NMMBA function...

  • We inspire people in Northern Michigan to experience the outdoors on bicycles.

  • We promote mountain biking and healthy trail use in Northern Michigan. Advocate

  • We build and maintain sustainable trails for everyone to enjoy.

    • To support all of the mountain bike trails in our region

      • Organize like minded folks to help with that

    • Combine efforts that do not need to be duplicated by each trail group

      • Staffing, work days, possibly equipment purchases, grant writing, education (ourselves and our members)

      • Insurance coverage

    • ?

NMMBA fundraising

  • NMMBA retains rights to merchandising with NMMBA logo (chapters can add logo to their own merch funded through chapter sources

  • Membership dollars

    • Increase annual membership fee?

        • $50 individual, $75 family (70/30% or 60/40% NMMBA/Chapter split with option to “support additional trail chapters at $15 individual or $20 family

  • Targeted grant writing, for NMMBA goals or to assist chapter projects (under NMMBA 501(c)3

Chapter Structure

  • Cadillac Pathway

  • Glacial Hills

  • Bike Leelanau

  • Traverse City Trail Network

Future...

  • Kalkaska? (Maybe a committee of TCTN?)

  • Lake Dubonet/Lake Ann (TC West? Maybe a committee of TCTN?)

  • Arcadia? (might be tough as GTRLC is 501(c)3)

  • Chapter boards

    • Does NMMBA help recruit chapter board members through NMMBA membership?

    • Need to standardize NMMBA-chapter agreements with allowance for customization as needed

  • Chapter fundraising

    • Portion of all new and renewal memberships based on members direction

    • Chapter fundraising (not chapter membership)

      • Allow Glacial to possibly offer opt in NMMBA membership for GH $150 annual supporters (for $25)?

      • Other chapter ideas to increase support of NMMBA and chapters and improve partnership?

    • Chapter boards write grants for trail/infrastructure improvements

What’s with TCTN?

  • As NMMBA becomes inclusive of trails outside of TC and the VST, it is only fitting that we highlight TC riding and the VST and it’s connected trails

  • Who from the current NMMBA board is the leadership of TCTN?

    • Tom? Mike? John? Tim J?

    • Do all current NMMBA board members that are willing to be part of TCTN leadership remain active on the NMMBA board for the duration of their term?

    • Does NMMBA ask for additional TCTN board members at the Jan. annual meeting?

      • If so, what does that look like?

        • ?

        • ?

      • If not, what then?

        • Just a few folks from the NMMBA board making decisions and maintaining TC trails?

Tim presented the above document and lead the discussion.

Some of the hot points included memberships and fees attached.

Do we do group memberships? And if so, do we discount the fees?

And getting back to empowering our members, do we ask for something in return?

As to membership fees in the future we can have members designate what trail they most support. And have their dollars go into the maintenance, etc. of that trail.

Tim R. presented a scenario where fees for both individual and family were increased.

Based on 250 members if the fees for both were bumped by $10 dollars the revenue generated would be $8750.00 for NMMBA and $3750.00 for the other trails based on a 70/30% split. Or a 60/40 split would adjust those numbers to $7500 and $5000.

Splits based on NMMBA carrying the majority of the associations expenses.

Some questioned the need for the increase. What’s most important memberships or dollars?

We not only ask our members to support with their dollars but also ask of them to purchase grooming badges, merchandise and more.

There was also talk of all season passes and student rates. This was illustrated by Tim R. with how the NTN(Noquemanon Trail Network) works. With our ever expanding trail network should we consider membership options as well?

These future trail networks may include Kalkaska, Lake Dubonnet/Lake Ann and Arcadia.

Tom passed around a spec sheet on a skid steer. Possible acquisition for trail maintenance.

Meeting was then adjourned at 8:55 p.m.

Submitted by

Steve Mentzer, secretary

Committee updates:

Kalkaska:

We have experienced another setback: When I last met with Dave Lemmien, he had asked to that we include additional trail layers onto our map: Horse, ORV and Snowmobile. After numerous emails, Katie Armstrong finally shared the layers mid-Nov. Jon Throop was able to import these layers just before maternity leave. Dave and Katie have this map for final review and I have just sent a follow up email. Signage has been paid for and reimbursed, so naturally I want to have these signs in hand. Image 360 is on standby.  4x4 post have received at Jeff's campground, concrete is stored in my shop.

Completing this signage installation May 2019 is my end goal and will signal my departure from NMMBA.

NMMBA – Kalkaska MTB Trail Wayfinding

  1. Kiosk large

    1. Aluminum Composite – Solid Core – 4mm

    2. Trail maps on 1/8  ASC. Full Color

    3. 24x36

    4. QTY: 3

  2. Trail Map

    1. Aluminum Composite – Solid Core – 4mm

    2. Trail maps on 1/8  ASC. Full Color

    3. 12x12

    4. QTY: 10

  3. Directional Arrows

    1. ACS ECONO 3mm 1/8 - 3.5 x 3.5 directional arrows back on white

    2. QTY: 120

  4. Parking “P” Signs

    1. ACS ECONO 3mm 1/8  - 3.5x3.5 blue on white, rounded corners

    2. QTY: 10

  5. Number Signs

    1. ACS ECONO 3mm 1/8  - 3.5x3.5 black on white,

      1. N0. 1 QTY: 5

      2. N0. 2 QTY: 6

      3. N0. 3 QTY: 10

      4. N0. 4 QTY: 42

      5. N0. 5 QTY: 30

      6. N0. 6 QTY: 12

      7. N0. 7 QTY: 18

  6. TC2K Signs

    1. ACS ECONO 3mm 1/8 - 3.5 x 3.5 back on white

    2. QTY: 60

  7. Caution Rd Crossing Signs

    1. ACS ECONO 3mm 1/8 - 5 x 9 back on Yellow, rounded corners, black boarder

    2. QTY: 40

  1. Totals:

    1. 53- 4x4x8 posts


ReViSiT:

All

For the ReViSiT/TCTN committee, the last month has been planning for future projects due to the early snowfall not allowing us to work in the woods since Iceman.

Tom and I have reached out to our friends at the MDNR about the 25+ miles of unmarked single track trails around Lake Dubonnet that have been on my radar for years.   Most of the trails are fully functioning trails that connect Lake Dubonnet pathway and Ransom Lake pathways that we would like to make legal with the DNR.

Tim Webb and Patrick Cotant of the DNR are looking into these and we are just waiting to here if we can move forward with getting the GPS data collected and seeing where this falls into there logging plans in that area.

Stay tuned!

Ditch Pickle area logging update.

The final section of trail to be built to complete our revisit plan is currently being logged as we speak and looks like we should be able to hit the ground running and finish this new 3/4 mile section when the snow leaves us this spring!

Thanks!

Bike Leelanau:

- New sled bought and ready for grooming the WST at the Leelanau State Park

- Winter Sports Trail cleared with a re-route keeping folks off Purkiss Rd, signage up

- MTB Clinic scheduled for June 15-16 with a women's only clinic Saturday and the Sunday clinic open to all

Cadillac Pathway:

1.  Still need more snow to groom the WST and make it an enjoyable experience.   We need snow to smooth out the trail otherwise it is a bumpy experience.

2.  The Cadillac Pathway that transforms into a classic xc ski trail in the winter is still be used by all users until more snow is acquired.  Pretty sweet riding right now.

3.  Pavilion Update

  Rough in inspection has indicated that we will need the cross lateral bracing between trusses.  We had hope to eliminate that since we have stamped drawings from the truss company. This will add in $500 cost of materials and do not know amount for labor.  

 January 5th volunteers are installing tongue and groove ceiling.  I have a crew of 4 people and still seeking 2 more individuals.

 In the spring we will pour concrete, wrap trusses, and stain.  

 Currently working on bids to build a masonry fireplace and seeking a boy scout looking for Eagle ranking to take on building picnic tables.

4.  Building Trail - just ideas rolling around.   

Acme bike park:

Acme bike park-We are still waiting on DNR approval for the small portion of state land we want to incorporate into the development. Scott Slavin is in favor of it but Dave Lemmien is still yet to give us the thumbs up. Chris Kushman from TART is working hard on this. In the mean time Brad Gerlach, Chris K and I are working on phase 1 design on county property with locations to easily link up to the state land portion when and if we gain approval.

The goal is to have the phase 1 design ready to begin building this spring.

TC WST:

Working on finalizing signage. Does anyone know who can make a pretty map for our WST?

I am working with the DNR on new safety standards for grooming, stay tuned.

Glacial Hills update:

Not much happening on property right now...

  • Waiting for snow


  • Tried to groom last Friday, found a mouse nest under the hood of the snowmobile


    • A few chewed wires lead to a $550 repair bill

    • Sled will be picked up Thursday

  • Beginning work on MNRTF grant application to acquire property and connect trail to the village of Bellaire


  • Working behind the scenes to plan possible disc golf course on Bellaire property adjacent to GH

October Board Meeting Minutes

NMMBA Board of Director's Meeting

 

Date and location: Wednesday October 10th, 2018, Keen loft

Board present: Chad Jordan, Kim White, John Roe, Cotopaxi Sprattmoran, Steve Mentzer and Mike Walters

 

Board absent: Tim Reicha III, Tom White, Michelle Andrews, Tim Jenema, Don Clewley and Dustin Webb.

 

No guests

Chad called the meeting to order at 6:41 p.m.

A brief discussion concerning online voting. Topics voted on included the previous month's meeting minutes, naming of the trail network as TCTN(Traverse City Trail Network) and purchasing banner flags for events.

 

John Roe:

John discussed grooming badges. Badges are to be sold at the upcoming Vasa Ski swap being held at Brick Wheels on Saturday October 13th.

With each sale a new name is added to the grooming reports. John to convert to Mail Chimp for compiling these lists and sending these reports out.

Some discussion as to how each trail report is sent.

Among the questions were; does each trail send out it's own report or does one report cover all trail conditions? Best to send one report and include each trail condition.

Stickers are to be given with each trails badge sold. It was decided to give a $10 discount on multiple badge sales.

500 badges have been ordered. Stickers for each trail number 125 except fot TC which was doubled to 250.

Cotopaxi Sprattmoran:

Cotopaxi discussed the acquisitions of area parks by Garfield Township. Among those were the Traverse City Light & Power(TCL&P) 50 acre parcel that would be a connector between Hickory Hills the Commons.

Another parcel was the Ransom parcel of 18 acres.

Discussion centered on the connector to Hickory Hills and the Commons. In the past the relationship between NMMBA and representatives of the Commons was less than ideal. It was decided to form a committee to work along side the Commons group to fortify a better working relationship.

That committee is comprised of Chad, Cotopaxi and Steve.

Also noted was an opportunity to guide trail builders at Hickory. We would be only an advisory body not the actual builders.

 

Safety issues:

Last month it was discussed  of an ongoing need for an emergency response system. Pat Parker from GT Fire Dept. had ways to map the trails.

Tonight we emphasized the need for NMMBA to set the protocol. Set the example.

That safety issue goes all the way down to our volunteers. We need to have each volunteer sign a DNR waiver before starting any work.

Talk of linking a waiver to our website.

On a related note there was to be a mock rescue operation performed on Sunday October 14th in Kalkaska.

Beard of Zeus:

Sponsorship up for grabs. 4 race series to include: Vasa, Dogman, Fat Chance and Beard of Zeus. March 3rd is the date that has been set for this race.

Tim R. and John to head this up. Tim R. to create a spreadsheet on expenses/revenue for this event.

On a related note it was thrown out the possibility of acquiring our own timing equipment. Would this be a cost savings as timing companies generally charge upwards of $1500.00+ per event.

Acme bike park:

Moving forward. Not rushing things.

Cadillac Pavilion:

Plans have been approved. Should be a structure to last many, many years. A lasting legacy

A committee to see this project through was formed. It includes Chad, Cotopaxi and John.

It was suggested that in the future, committees be made up of members. Board is being spread thin.

Insurance:

It was noted and discussed as to the additional equipment that has been acquired recently. These items need to be added to our policy. And does location of said equipment need to be designated for claims purposes.

Steve to reach out to Larkin and research this.

Financials:

$2500.00 covered needs for Kalkaska signage.

Some discussion as to designated trailheads in Kalkaska.

 

VST ride direction:

Mike talked about alternate ride directions re:VST. Riding it backwards brings an all new perspective to the trail and creates more even wear.

Tom advocated starting this in 2020 as it would coincide with Mud, Sweat & Beers.

 

MTB Summit:

John to print and mount posters for this event. Discussion as to if each trail submitted a poster and what content/message was to be conveyed.

Discussion to continue online. Kim to spearhead this project along.

Attachments:

Reports submitted by Tim Reicha II

Glacial Hills

·    Vault toilets/changing rooms are installed

·    new door hardware, paint, finishing touches are ongoing

·    Antrim Conservation District has begun landscaping around Eckhardt building, adding flowers in the spring (this looks great!)

·    New shed installed at Vandermark (for ATV/snowmobile), previous shed moved to Eckhardt (with Rokon/hand tools)

·    Temporary loop signage installation nearing completion, targeted to be done by fundraiser

·    October 21, 2-8pm permanent signage replacement fundraiser at Short's

·    2pm group ride at Orchard Hill, group hike at Eckhardt, 4-8 hang at Short's all food and bev proceeds got to GH

·    Grooming route meet up to be scheduled with groomers in the next two weeks

·    will need to clear trees from sections of two tracks

·    GH board received a 30 minute lecture from one angry ebike user at the Sept board meeting following installation of signage prohibiting ebike use

·    he stated he will be pulling his support as he "put money in the donation tube every time" he rode

Report submitted by Cotipaxi Sprattmoran

Bike Leelanau:

Palmer Woods: Nearing completion. We are putting together a trail opening party.

Provemont Pond: Received approval to build a 1 mile multi-use trail.

Leelanau State Park: Permit application sent in, there will be an open house October 15th where people talk to the DNR about the proposed trail. Trail work days need to be scheduled.

 

-

 

Cody

Meeting adjourned at 8:37 p.m.

Submitted by

Steve Mentzer, secretary