News

NMMBA Board of Director Meeting Minutes - June 2019

NMMBA Board of Directors Meeting

Date and location: Wednesday June 12th, 2019 Keen loft

Board present: Chad Jordan, Tom White, Kim White, Mike Walters, Michele Andrews, Tim Jenema, John Roe, Cody Sprattmoran and Steve Mentzer

Board absent: Tim Reicha III

No guests

Chad called the meeting to order at 6:33 p.m.

Financials:

Kim presented the financials and provided a few particulars. 

There were some donations taken in for Traverse City Trail Fest(TCTF). 

Profit & Loss statement for TCTF showed a profit of nearly $4500.00

Checking account balances:

Bear Claw Epic(BCE): $24,621.91

NMMBA/Bike Leelanau: $51,834.79

Kim presented to the board IRS form 990-EZ Return of Organization Exempt from Income Tax.

Chad signed the form and the board voted to file it.

Chad motioned to file the form. Steve 2nd the motion. Unanimous vote.

Evart update:

Steve and Doris Petoskey, the principles behind this project were unable to attend but will email Chad any updates. Agenda item was tabled until next month. 

Bike Skills Clinic:

Cody Sprattmoran was happy to report that this Saturday’s session was full!

A few openings were still available for Sunday’s clinic.

Camp Greilick:

Chad, Tom and Mike met with the camp’s new director Jamie Hedges.

Jamie indicated the desire for trails within the property. NMMBA can utilize the Singletrack Love Machine(SLM) to get them built. But it would come at a cost to GOREC(Greilick Outdoor Recreation & Education Center). GOREC is committed and will seek grant funding as well as in kind donations. Revenue from the Camp would be another funding arm.

GOREC is also interested in winter events. 

They have also slated a chainsaw clinic set for July 27th

It is NMMBA’s desire to build a connector to Dollar Lake and these trails are close to the unmarked trails and ultimately the VST.

TCTF:

More volunteer positions have been set.

Bill Unger & Heath Day will coordinate the kids race.

John Roe & Steve Mentzer will once again pre-ride and road marshall Williamsburg Rd.

Cody Sovis will handle the MC duties.

Spotter is needed at the top of the 1st climb to direct racers both when they start and as they finish.

Discussion as to placement of merchandise tent, beer sales, etc.

Help is also needed at the merch tent.

Went down the list of sponsors and what they have committed to dollar wise. Also covered were what ones still needed to pay.

Signage was discussed. Need will be for 600 signs for the 40 miler, 450 signs for the 25 miler and 200 for the 15 miler.

Steve and John to coordinate paper, etc.

Acme Park:

Tim J. was happy to announce that the $5000 grant from Olsen’s had been awarded. NMMBA had agreed to match so we will provide $5000 as well!!

Tim J. indicated that ground will be broken soon. Any hand tools needed would be provided by NMMBA. He indicated they had gotten the okay to do some “light clearing”. More extensive clearing will come later.

Trail segments are broken down into striders, >10 years of age and older kids. Trail features will have jumps, rock gardens, etc.

Tim J. indicated they were pursuing an additional 40 acres but talks have stalled with the DNR

TARTnership in Leelanau county:

Chad and Cody Sprattmoran had a meeting with TART’s Julie Clark.

Among the items discussed were a pump track to be constructed at Herman Park, development of 700+ acres privately owned held in public trust and a natural singletrack to be parallel to sections of the Leelanau trail.


Pump track at Herman park would be smallish in size. Township board is being positive about the project if funding can be found.

A composite model can be brought in to generate excitement. Then funding can begin.

The singletrack proposed for sections of the Leelanau trail would be 4 season trails. Grooming in winter would allow fat bikes to traverse the trail without riding on the ski portion.

A $75,000 grant has been written and is just waiting for approval.

VST Pavilion:

Tim J., Chad, Mike, Tom and Duane Archambo to meet with Scott Slavin of the DNR.

Branding Update:

Mark Mueller had presented the contract. Nate Farran has revisions he would like worked into the contract.

Roundtable talk:

Talk of securing a storage unit for merchandise, tents, banners, etc.

Steve checked into it with Colonial Self Storage. 5 x 15 unit is available for around $50/month.

Chad made a motion to secure the unit, Tom with a 2nd. Unanimous vote.

Gear boxes were next on the table. DNR has set some rules as to where they can be located without obstructing the trail and what they may include as to contents. Especially the first aid kits. They want no sharp objects(scissors) aspirin, Tylenol, neosporin and other pain killers.

John had requested all unsold grooming badges be returned. He also wanted to explore a stipend for some of the groomers who had been with the program the longest. He also indicated the groomer gifts were still being finalized at Trophy Trolley.

Meeting adjourned at 8:14 p.m.

Submitted by 

Steve Mentzer, secretary

Committee reports:

Bike Leelanau:

Provemont Pond .8 mile multi use trail is built, waiting on signage before officially opening to the public. 

Palmer Woods trail work continues to be done, no estimated date for full open of the trail. 

Bike clinic this weekend. Full Saturday, a couple of spots remaining for Sunday.

Cadillac Pathway Update:

The cement has been poured for the pavilion, outhouse installed, final grading of sidewalks and parking lot.  

The fireplace construction has begun and the ETA is June 30th.  

The funding of the pavilion was done by Cadillac Leadership and Bear Claw Epic.  A grant from the Cadillac Rotary club is funding the fireplace, bike/ski racks, gear boxes and potential solar lighting.  

Received a grant from the DALMAC Fund for $2,000 to fund the Bike FixIt Station and bike pump.  

Cole Mortenson who is pursuing Eagle Scout will be fundraising for the wood and building of 6 picnic tables.  Bear Claw Epic is also help fund this project. Table Jacks have been ordered and will be delivered this week.  Picnic tables will be built and in by mid July at the latest.  

Working with the Cadillac Area Visitor's Bureau and the Missaukee County on helping to fundraise for the building of 11 miles of single track.  Our first meeting is next Tuesday to discuss.  

Cadillac Pathway Winter Sports Trail:

I am in need of more groomers.  Looking for at least a one day commitment each week to successfully groom for the upcoming season.  Looking for 2-3 people. Grooming is about a 2 - 2 1/2 hour commitment. 

TCTN - Update

1)  MSB was a bumpy one in terms of course marking.  McLains declined

doing it for 2020 unless NMMBA reclaims ultimate responsibility.  In other

words, McLains will mark the course (after NMMBA designs, builds and

pre-marks), but will not do the night before or race day marking and

pre-ride checking.  This responsibility falls back to NMMBA.  We should

discuss.

2)  The Strombolis Lake trail build (4.2 miles) is complete.  Final trail

proposal submitted.  Huge thank you to all that pitched in.

3)  TCTF course is laid out and mapped.  One section remains to be

finished.  Waiting on DNR blessing.  Obviously, ten million more things

need to be done before the race can happen, but progress continues to be

made.

4)   The TCTN grand vision was shared with Scott Slavin at the DNR and he offered his suggestions to making it a reality.  The GOREC property ties

into our grand vision.  Dollar Lake and Gorec will be our next trail

development sites.

5)  The Jack Kline Memorial event is tentatively scheduled for July 21st

(the day after trail fest) at the Ranch.  Working on cost packages with the

Ranch now as we have already booked and paid for some of the services at the ranch.  They are working with me on it. Should NMMBA offer some

financial assistance for this event?

6)  The City Bike and NMMBA  co-branding umbrella is finished and in use.

This is a quick and easy attachment to the hitch of a pick up and offers a

bike work stand integrated within it.  Makes quite a visual statement at

the trail heads.


NMMBA Board of Directors Meeting - May

NMMBA Board of Directors Meeting

Date and location: Wednesday, May 8th, 2019. Keen loft

Board present: Chad Jordan, Tom White, Kim White, Tim Reicha III, Mike Walters, Cotipaxi Sprattmoran and Steve Mentzer

Board absent: Michele Andrews, John Roe, Dustin Webb, Tim Jenema and Don Clewley

Guests: Cody Sovis, Steve Petoskey and Doris Petoskey

Chad opened the meeting at 6:34 p.m.

Quorum present.

Agenda item Evart Trail moved to first item.

Evart Trail:

Steve and Doris Petoskey were introduced as guests. Citizens of Evart and owners of a bicycle repair shop, Steve and Doris are interested in developing a portion of the Pere Marquette forest west of Evart for mountain biking. They have approached NMMBA as to the best process to realize their dream.

Steve had initiated talks with Scott Slavin of the DNR and he recommended they contact NMMBA.

The proposed trails are located north of the US 10/M-140 intersection. The number of acres has not been determined but all fall within state lands.

A local company Evart Ventra, LLC has committed to provide funding for the project.

Questions arose as to what other user groups were present and what bodies of water were in the vicinity.

As far as Steve knew there were no dedicated ORV groups that used the lands/trails regularly and other than a few streams, no large bodies of water existed.

There was additional discussion as to soil types, trail miles, etc.

Tom then guided Steve on the best way to proceed.

Contact other user groups and see what plans they may have for that area, talk to the DNR and ask what their plans are: logging, etc.

Get the okay from other groups and the DNR’s Forestry division.

Steve and Doris will gather information and report back at a future meeting.

MMBA Update:

Kim had a short update to present. With the departure of Melissa Werkman the MMBA lacks an Executive Director(ED). This has caused the organization’s strategic plan to be unobtainable.

There is a need to work with committees in Lansing to advance our cause.

One person on the forefront is Jason Aric Jones of the PotoMBA.

There has been some new Director’s orders about to come down that will give conservation officers a clearer enforcement of certain rules.

Those particular rules were not available as of this meeting.

Certainly more to follow.

Financials:

As always Kim presented the complete financial picture for NMMBA.

Not much discussion came about but some of the figures presented include:

NMMBA Checking acct. Balance which stood at $49,290.84. In addition, Bear Claw Epic(BCE) account balance is $32,541.71

Membership:

Just a reminder that to serve on the board one must maintain their NMMBA membership.

By the end of 2019 members will have the option to renew automatically.

VST Pavilion:

John and Chad had met with a potential donor for the pavilion. A donation figure will be agreed upon.

Cherry Capital Cycling Club has also expressed interest in helping to defray the costs.

Costs associated with the project were discussed.

An engineered site plan should run about $2000. Tim J. will have connections in regards to this.

Dave Heim, a local architect had offered to help as well.

It was decided to get Tim J. to solicit engineers and report back to the board.

A site for the pavilion has always been assumed. DNR (within the DNR there have been two suggested locations)  Based on trails merging, etc they have advocated it being located off the parking lot in the woods.

Pavilion committee which consists of Chad, Mike, Tom and Tim J. will determine location among other aspects.

More to follow.

Hayo-Went-Ha Camp:

Hayo-went-ha Camp is located in Antrim county. They have exchanged emails with NMMBA with tentative plans to meet in person. They are looking for advice/direction on building trails within the camp’s property. With the possibility of a connector to Glacial Hills.

More to follow when/if that meeting takes place.

But talked turned to our role and expenses put out for these requests to design and build trail. And more importantly how much will be asked of the organization(s) soliciting our services.

Will it be pay to play?

The Singletrack Love Machine(SLM) will play a pivotal role.

All monies generated by the SLM will go to pay our expenses.

Our own trails will pay a maintenance fee.

Trail building outside our organization will pay additional expenses.

In addition to providing their own ditch witch.

Design fees was also brought up.

What exactly do we charge and how is that money treated?

Donations or revenue?

Does Tom’s role as a  trail designer be looked at separately?

Does he get paid but donate back dollars to NMMBA?

Bit cloudy at this point. More to follow.

Branding:

Chad led the discussion on this.

He states that Nate wants to get moving on this new branding and partner outreach enterprise.

Board reviewed a rough draft of a compensation agreement drawn up by Mark Mueller. This agreement would be between Nate Farran and NMMBA.

Question as to how Nate is compensated and how is NMMBA get their portion of the dollars. Retail or wholesale?

Talk of new memberships with each bike sale through the local bike shops(LBS). Guided tours to new riders.

With the potential of hundreds of new members how do we keep them in front of us? Emails? Lots to work out.

Tim R. to get with Mark Mueller to iron out a few sections of the document.

TART/Acme bike park:

With the absence of Tim J. at tonight’s meeting, there was no formal update given.

It was decided that the committee consisting of Tim J., Tom and Kim would meet with TART.

Roundtable:

Cody Sprattmoran talked of the June bike skills clinic to be held at Palmer Woods. $75 for entry either of the two days designated. Saturday will be for those who identify as women and Sunday will be open to all. Clinic goes from 9am to 5pm daily. Lunch will be provided. Two renowned instructors, Lori Hauswirth and Lianna Miller will provide instruction.

Cody Sovis let the board know that some registrations are coming in for TCTF.

Talk of the tent being present for Mud Sweat and Beers. Merch sales, flyers for TCTF and handouts also will be on hand.

Meeting adjourned at 8:40pm.

Submitted by

Steve Mentzer, secretar

Committee updates:

Fatbike Grooming:

We are at the time of year that we forget about winter grooming. Happy Spring.

However, the planning for next winter is already started. Here is what I have going.

1) Groomer gifts are ordered. Waiting on Nate, TC will pay for all trails

2) Grooming survey in review

3) Snowmobile and equipment maintenance in process - all equipment should be prepared for next season by the end of June. Oil change, minor repairs, inspection and modifications.

4) I am ordering a new drag for TC Tidd Tech Narrow Gauge groomer with flaps and having flaps put on our V-Plow.

4) I am meeting with the DNR on Tuesday May 21. I need to have the Cadillac's expenditures and Northport's expenditures and log (should include total mileage and volunteer hours).

5) After TCTF we need to plan a Fatbike Committee meeting. I can collect unsold badge then. We will discuss plans for next season and badge sales structure.

6) Norte is starting a Fatbike program. (They will have a fleet of FB for kids to use)

Thanks,

John Roe

TCTN Updates......

- MSB course received rave reviews.  The marking had issues, but upon

deeper analysis it was only a few people leading large groups off course.

Some great corrective actions are already in place and I think 2020 will be

even better.

- We just got DNR approval today for the final extensions on the VST and

the complete build out of the Strombolis area.  By TCTF we will have 80% of

it done and in the event.  The approvals today will bring the VST total

distance to 21 miles.....up from the lowly 15.5 it is today.  This is a

huge day.

- TCTF sign up is going.  The event application turned in.  Lots of work

happening daily.  One last attempt to get Norte on board for this year.

Two solid starts have failed.  Have one more possible option cooking.

- A motorized wheelbarrow and equipment hauler has been ordered using

private funds.  This will allow us to carry all our equipment (including

the stump grinder) deep into the forest to fix problem areas.  This will be

a huge help.

- The Love Machine is still on track for mid July delivery.  Once the machine is tested and proven, it will be put to use reconditioning old trail, building the extension on the VST, improving the Iceman course and hopefully other user groups can use it to recondition their trails too….such as the ORV (mainly dirt bike) trails.  

Glacial Hills

  • We had 25 volunteers attend the April 20 work day and work the entire 31 miles of trail

  • Our shared employee with Antrim Conservation District began working at Glacial Hills last week, April 30. Zach will be working Monday and Thursday each week, coordinating efforts with our volunteer maintenance crew plus maintaining the buildings and infrastructure.

  • The trails are in great shape and there are wildflowers everywhere, get out there!

April Board Meeting Minutes

NMMBA Board of Directors Meeting

Date and location: Wednesday, April 10th, 2019. Keen Loft

Board present: Chad Jordan, Kim White, Tim Reicha III, Mike Walters and Steve Mentzer

Board absent: Tom White, John Roe, Tim Jenema, Michele Andrews, Dustin Webb, Cody Sprattmoran and Don Clewley.

Guests: Nate Farran

Chad opened the meeting at 6:30 p.m. There was no quorum present.

March meeting minutes were formally approved.


Financials:

Kim led the discussion on the financials.

Kim had presented the balance sheet for NMMBA. She had designated separate accounts for the different trails. Among those accounts was one labeled General funds.

She indicated that the fund balance stood at $9160.96

Contributing to this total was the revenue generated by the Beard of Zeus fatbike race. Also all costs associated with that race were volunteer generated so no billing went out.

Kim also touched on the Morley fund. Betsy Morley had indicated that some of the monies were to be used for the future pavilion to be located at the Supply road trailhead.

Kim is advocating that the fund be put into a  separate interest bearing account.

As to the pavilion, Cherry Capitol Cycling Club(CCCC) is still interested in contributing to the pavilion. So any discussions going forward should include Bill Danly, president of CCCC.

Other notable numbers from the financials include account balances.

BCE checking acct balance stood at $31,614.94

Bike Leelanau/NMMBA balance stood at $47,038.65

Merchandise Branding:

Nate unveiled the color representing Traverse City Trails Fest(TCTF).

Orange!

Aligns with the DNR and also presents a high visibility to it that will promote safety.

Nate also showed some more apparel samples which will be marketed to the local bike shops(LBS).

NMMBA logo will always be evident on all merch. T’s, cups, caps, etc.

He will present a sell sheet to the LBS.

Looking down the road the LBS will have the technology and capability to sign up memberships in store. Either through an ipad or scanning a QR code on a hangtag.

Nate also proposed logowear for the board members in the form of a vest or jacket. It would be a way to identify board members at functions and events. If we went with this idea the logo would identify and label each “board member” instead of title.

Another idea was using a lanyard with a card inserted to identify each board member. Could be incorporated into branding. More to come.

Nate also proposed the idea of a guided mountain bike service. The idea being that you purchase a membership to NMMBA and are awarded a free guided tour on the VST. These tours would be led by our current members or board members. It would be another way to engage our membership base.

Discussion about eliminating the intimidation factor people have when heading out to ride. These tours would have both a leader and sweeper. No one gets dropped. A bit of history and trail etiquette would also be a part of the tours for newer riders.

This program would benefit both NMMBA and the bike shops.

It was suggested that we start with one shop and grow it from there.

City Bike shop in Traverse City and McLain’s in Cadillac would be the pilot programs.

Nate to meet with the merchandise committee.

Check in with Mark Mueller as to the progress on the marketing doc to be presented to Nate.

MSB update:

Mike led this discussion as to the upcoming MSB race. And what is needed. With trails having been added and re-routed, new signage is needed. Also new maps for the trailhead kiosk are needed. New riders heading out  from Supply will not have current information. Could lead to some lost riders. Safety is paramount!

In other MSB news, race permit is still not in hand. GPX file with new routes should be completed by Monday the 15th.

Strombolis Lake section is complete and just a bit more work is needed on the ditch pickle section.

McLain race team is set to mark the course.

Round Table:

Steve brought the board up to date with the Insurance situation. Received a quote from Fischer agency in Bellaire. Policy premiums are very close in cost. Most likely from quotes coming from the same carrier. Michigan Miller.

Few more numbers have to come in then board will make their decision as to remaining with Larkin or switching companies.

Meeting adjourned at 8:30 p.m.

Submitted by

Steve Mentzer, secretary

Committee reports:

Cadillac Pathway:

finalizing the pavilion over the next couple of months.

Working on Bear Claw Epic-Saturday September 28, 2019.

TCTF:

()  MSB race route review is complete with the DNR.   Awaiting approval. 3

new sections of single track this year.  Look for new/better trail in the

F-Bomb area (just off Special K), Tom's Cruise Down will hopefully be in

this year.  The next phase of Strombolis Lake is complete and rides like it

has been there for a year.  The course will clock in at 23 miles this year

and will be fun and playful mix of single track and open stuff.  Team

McLain is marking the course this year.  Woohoo! Thank you!!!!!!

() Single Track Love Machine Cutting Head is still on track for mid July

delivery.

()  Meeting set up for May 11th to review final phase of Strombolis Lake

with DNR.  Goal is to have the Strombolis Lake trail 100% complete by TCTF.

Total Strombolis Lake trail is just over 4 miles of money shot single

track.  Work will commence IMMEDIATELY after MSB and DNR approval.

Tom

Glacial Hills

  • Spring work day: Saturday, April 20, 10am-1pm meet at Vandermark (see you at Short's after) (*I'm riding my bike out, leaving at 7:30am from top of Holiday Rd if anyone wants to join, hit me up)

  • there are still many trees down on the trail from the winter, they are gradually being cleared by volunteers

  • working on finalizing maps and kiosk signage to place massive sign order to complete wayfinding redesign before summer

  • 1/2 mile connector will be built in the next month as a shortcut for long route between Eckhardt and Vandermark

  • laying groundwork for disc golf course to be constructed this year

    • obtained initial permission from Village and Bellaire public schools to plan/layout course for final approval

  • also in initial planning with GTRLC for MNRTF grant application for property acquisition and trail construction to connect the Village of Bellaire to the trail

Happy trails!


Board Meeting Minutes: March 2019

NMMBA Board of Director’s Meeting

Date & location: Wednesday, March 13th, 2019 Keen Loft

Board present: Chad Jordan, Tom White, Kim White, John Roe, Tim Jenema, Tim Reicha III, Mike Walters & Steve Mentzer.

Board absent: Cotipaxi Sprattmoran, Dustin Webb, Michele Andrews and Don Clewley

Guests:Mark Mueller

Chad called the meeting to order at 6:40 p.m.

Introduction of Mark Mueller

Tom introduced Mark Mueller to the board. Mark is a local attorney who was asked to help formulate an agreement in regards to our merchandise sales.

As stated in the February minutes Nate Farran had come up with some new designs that would be marketed through the local bike shops(LBS).

is agreement would ensure that all involved would be accountable in regards to inventory levels and compensation. And also if agreement is ever ended by any of the parties it would be an amicable agreement.

Mark to prepare a rough draft to present to the board.

Acme Bike Park:

Tim J. had submitted a written update on this project which will be attached to the final minutes. He spoke of some specifics to fill in the blanks.

Tim had assembled some people with ties to the local community to provide input on this project.

They include Nate Farran who has connections with Norte’, Steve Lagerquist who is with the Grand Traverse Regional Land Conservancy(GTRLC), and John Kerkov.

This project all falls within county property.

Tim also spoke of the need for financing. TART has committed $10,000 towards the park and he was seeking a $5000 commitment from NMMBA. Overall their goal is to secure $30,000 and look for matching grants.

There was discussion of possible fundraising methods they could employ. Among those was an adopt-a-berm. Similar to stretches of roads and trails financially backed by different groups. Groups could financially back sections of the trail. Some felt that not all would be on board with this.

Tim outlined that the project would be constructed in phases. Initially it will be hand built and will contain a skills section.

A motion was made by Kim with a 2nd by John to earmark $5000 towards the Acme Bike Park pending approval of the project.

Unanimous vote.

Single Track Love Machine:

Tom filled in the board as to the status of the Single Track Love Machine(STLM).

Rough design has been completed. If given the okay it will be finished by July. As presented the cost of the STLM is $12,087. Quote is not perfect as in if the STLM does not do what we want it to, we are out the money.

It attaches to a ditch witch and because of its movement, that of a roto-tiller, DNR has okay’d its use on the trails.

It measures approx. 19” x 27”.

There was general discussion as to its uses, reconditioning old trails and how it will cut time in making trail.

Mike made a motion to allocate $12,087 for the STLM. Tim R. 2nd the motion. More discussion and then put to a vote. Unanimous.

Strategic Planning:

Tom handed around a strategic planning report he had put together.

This plan is extremely important for our organization moving forward.

It will be ever evolving so that it keeps its relevance for current and future members.

He touched on some of the aspects:

There are 4 strategies. Okay, maybe 5.

-Economic

-Product/Name brand

-Relationship

-Distribution

-Organizational

Each titled strategy was then broken down even further to reflect our mission.

Tom asked for comments on this plan; additions, subtractions, etc. by April 1st. At our next meeting in April these suggestions will be discussed and maybe implemented.

Trail series:

Aspects of the trail series were discussed. Still under consideration was making it a point series.

Pros and cons were brought up in regards to this point.

Age classifications can be its downfall. They would have to be uniform.

Fat bike series was discussed as well. Saw increases in each race. Age classifications were varied per each race. Some had 45+ Masters categories and some races featured more defined age groups.

So, then does it become a participation series? With swag going to all who race the whole series?

Old business:

John Roe reminded all about the Groomer appreciation party to be held at Timber Ridge on Thursday the following evening.

Steve mentioned he had emailed Mark Irwin at the Fischer agency in Bellaire with a request on quotes for equipment and general liability insurance. Still awaiting a response.

Meeting adjourned at 9:08 p.m.

Submitted by

Steve Mentzer, secretary

Attachments:

Committee reports.

Glacial Hills

  • anecdotally, by parking lot observation and social media engagement, this was the best year for groomed trail use in our four years of grooming

    • biking, xc skiing, and snowshoeing

    • GH had very little foot traffic on the groomed trail this year

  • spring trail clean up tentatively scheduled for Sat., April 20 from Vandermark parking lot

  • 2019 will include data collection and communication for 2020 MNRTF grant application to move forward with connecting trail to village of Bellaire

  • need to review draft agreement with Antrim Conservation District re shared employee

    • any potential for NMMBA to hire shared trail maintenance staff in the future?

  • GH board and volunteers plan to have new permanent wayfinding signs with 11 suggested/marked loops (3-4 from each trail head) printed and installed by Memorial Day weekend

    • 1/2 mile connector (shortcut) trail to be built before maps are printed

    • likely mid to end of April, if anyone is willing to help remove some downed trees on the new route with a group, let me know

Bike Leelanau

Updates:

1) Grooming was highly successful this year, most importantly the Winter Sports Trail has facilitated positive relationships with Northport/Omena folks and businesses. Most of whom fully support the trail and the winter business it brings in.

2) When the snow melts, work will resume on the second loop of the Intermediate MTB Trail at Palmer Woods. A 1 mile multi-use trail will be built by Bike Leelanau at the Leland Township property Provemont Pond - this will be an initial multi-use loop to test mountain biking on the property, with potential to up to 7 miles of mtb trails on the property.

3) We are in discussion with Up North Pride and the Bay Theater to co-host a Pride Ride and Movie in Suttons Bay for Pride month.

4) There is a potential for single track to be built adjacent to the TART Leelanau Trail on the northern part of the trail.

Cody

Acme Bike Park-

Attached is site plan concept.

Still working through planning stages to start early this summer building the Blue and Red loops on the site plan. We have a potential of $15k in funding and 2 grants being applied for through Tart and NMMBA. Brick Wheels is helping with a grant applications through Quality Bike Parts Community Grant. We are actively sourcing materials for the skill development area, if anyone knows good sources for flat rocks for rock garden, drops and other features let me know.

Chris Kushman from Tart and I have put together a small committee to help steer this project in the right direction with members from a few cycling groups and the land conservancy, we plan to meet right after spring break.

We plan to work on plans for the re working BMX track area, add skill development area and future pump track.

Tim Jenema

TCTN

1)  The entire network is 3 feet under.  The forecast looks tough for

MSB....as always.  Final race map for MSB is finished and submitted to the

DNR.  Not yet approved.  There will be 1.0 mile of new trail this year and

massive clean up and prep efforts will begin as soon as the snow breaks.

It is gonna be tight timing.....again.

2)  The Single Track Love Machine design and final drawing is done.  Ready

for board review and decision.

3)  VST - the 2019 reroutes are defined, mostly flagged out and the next

section of Strombolis Lake is APPROVED for build out!  The work season for

the VST can begin when the snow breaks.  The parts included in the MSB will

be addressed first.  The parts in TCTF addressed next.  The work in 2019

will make the VST a MUCH better finished product.  Everything tingles when

I think about it.

4)  TCTF - Sponsor package sent to Bob's Furnace for review.  This will

fill the M22 hole.  Meeting at the Ranch being set up to to review the new

beer sale plan and other event/site specifics.  Course route and final map

to be complete by mid April.  Tick tock!!! Flyer to be out April 1.  Sign

up to go live April 15ish.  Social media/website update to happen when the

map comes out (April 15th ish).


Ride Plans For The Week: Winter Will Be Right Back

DSC00585.jpg

As we pen this near the shores of East Bay in Traverse City, it’s a balmy 46 degrees and raining like it’s May. Don’t worry; winter is swinging back into town, and soon.

First off, we really want to thank everyone for their patience over the past 48 hours. After over a week of frigid temperatures and plentiful snow, Mother Nature did a full 180 degree turn and slammed some spring-like weather onto northern Michigan. All of our trails remain closed through Monday, but a quick glance at the forecast cast shows we have a great week of riding coming up.

Tuesday will see below-freezing highs, but hit the trails with just a bit of caution. Some sections of the trails are sure to be very slick and icy, and until we get a change to scrape things up a bit, studs won’t be necessary, but they’ll be handy. The snowfall on Wednesday and Thursday should be a big help in combining fresh powder into icy surfaces, and we should have incredible conditions for riding Thursday through the weekend!

And it’s a big weekend, too. This Saturday is the 43rd Annual North American Vasa, which happens to include the King Vasa Fat Bike Race as a part of its Festival of Races. The bike events start at 11:50 am, with 40 and 20 kilometer options available. Our crews have been working hard to keep the trails in stunning shape, and not even this freakish warm-up is going to affect a really stunning trail experience for racers. As the second stop in the Short’s Brewing Fat Bike Series, it’s another chance to pick up points and rack up race miles as the Series hits its halfway mark.

If you aren’t racing this weekend, consider volunteering on Saturday or Sunday and helping keep this event fun, safe, and well-supported!

From everyone at NMMBA, the Cadillac Pathway, Bike Leelanau, and Glacial Hills, thanks again for helping keep the trails in great shape as we gear up for plenty of winter riding in February!