NMMBA Board of Director Meeting Minutes - June 2019

NMMBA Board of Directors Meeting

Date and location: Wednesday June 12th, 2019 Keen loft

Board present: Chad Jordan, Tom White, Kim White, Mike Walters, Michele Andrews, Tim Jenema, John Roe, Cody Sprattmoran and Steve Mentzer

Board absent: Tim Reicha III

No guests

Chad called the meeting to order at 6:33 p.m.

Financials:

Kim presented the financials and provided a few particulars. 

There were some donations taken in for Traverse City Trail Fest(TCTF). 

Profit & Loss statement for TCTF showed a profit of nearly $4500.00

Checking account balances:

Bear Claw Epic(BCE): $24,621.91

NMMBA/Bike Leelanau: $51,834.79

Kim presented to the board IRS form 990-EZ Return of Organization Exempt from Income Tax.

Chad signed the form and the board voted to file it.

Chad motioned to file the form. Steve 2nd the motion. Unanimous vote.

Evart update:

Steve and Doris Petoskey, the principles behind this project were unable to attend but will email Chad any updates. Agenda item was tabled until next month. 

Bike Skills Clinic:

Cody Sprattmoran was happy to report that this Saturday’s session was full!

A few openings were still available for Sunday’s clinic.

Camp Greilick:

Chad, Tom and Mike met with the camp’s new director Jamie Hedges.

Jamie indicated the desire for trails within the property. NMMBA can utilize the Singletrack Love Machine(SLM) to get them built. But it would come at a cost to GOREC(Greilick Outdoor Recreation & Education Center). GOREC is committed and will seek grant funding as well as in kind donations. Revenue from the Camp would be another funding arm.

GOREC is also interested in winter events. 

They have also slated a chainsaw clinic set for July 27th

It is NMMBA’s desire to build a connector to Dollar Lake and these trails are close to the unmarked trails and ultimately the VST.

TCTF:

More volunteer positions have been set.

Bill Unger & Heath Day will coordinate the kids race.

John Roe & Steve Mentzer will once again pre-ride and road marshall Williamsburg Rd.

Cody Sovis will handle the MC duties.

Spotter is needed at the top of the 1st climb to direct racers both when they start and as they finish.

Discussion as to placement of merchandise tent, beer sales, etc.

Help is also needed at the merch tent.

Went down the list of sponsors and what they have committed to dollar wise. Also covered were what ones still needed to pay.

Signage was discussed. Need will be for 600 signs for the 40 miler, 450 signs for the 25 miler and 200 for the 15 miler.

Steve and John to coordinate paper, etc.

Acme Park:

Tim J. was happy to announce that the $5000 grant from Olsen’s had been awarded. NMMBA had agreed to match so we will provide $5000 as well!!

Tim J. indicated that ground will be broken soon. Any hand tools needed would be provided by NMMBA. He indicated they had gotten the okay to do some “light clearing”. More extensive clearing will come later.

Trail segments are broken down into striders, >10 years of age and older kids. Trail features will have jumps, rock gardens, etc.

Tim J. indicated they were pursuing an additional 40 acres but talks have stalled with the DNR

TARTnership in Leelanau county:

Chad and Cody Sprattmoran had a meeting with TART’s Julie Clark.

Among the items discussed were a pump track to be constructed at Herman Park, development of 700+ acres privately owned held in public trust and a natural singletrack to be parallel to sections of the Leelanau trail.


Pump track at Herman park would be smallish in size. Township board is being positive about the project if funding can be found.

A composite model can be brought in to generate excitement. Then funding can begin.

The singletrack proposed for sections of the Leelanau trail would be 4 season trails. Grooming in winter would allow fat bikes to traverse the trail without riding on the ski portion.

A $75,000 grant has been written and is just waiting for approval.

VST Pavilion:

Tim J., Chad, Mike, Tom and Duane Archambo to meet with Scott Slavin of the DNR.

Branding Update:

Mark Mueller had presented the contract. Nate Farran has revisions he would like worked into the contract.

Roundtable talk:

Talk of securing a storage unit for merchandise, tents, banners, etc.

Steve checked into it with Colonial Self Storage. 5 x 15 unit is available for around $50/month.

Chad made a motion to secure the unit, Tom with a 2nd. Unanimous vote.

Gear boxes were next on the table. DNR has set some rules as to where they can be located without obstructing the trail and what they may include as to contents. Especially the first aid kits. They want no sharp objects(scissors) aspirin, Tylenol, neosporin and other pain killers.

John had requested all unsold grooming badges be returned. He also wanted to explore a stipend for some of the groomers who had been with the program the longest. He also indicated the groomer gifts were still being finalized at Trophy Trolley.

Meeting adjourned at 8:14 p.m.

Submitted by 

Steve Mentzer, secretary

Committee reports:

Bike Leelanau:

Provemont Pond .8 mile multi use trail is built, waiting on signage before officially opening to the public. 

Palmer Woods trail work continues to be done, no estimated date for full open of the trail. 

Bike clinic this weekend. Full Saturday, a couple of spots remaining for Sunday.

Cadillac Pathway Update:

The cement has been poured for the pavilion, outhouse installed, final grading of sidewalks and parking lot.  

The fireplace construction has begun and the ETA is June 30th.  

The funding of the pavilion was done by Cadillac Leadership and Bear Claw Epic.  A grant from the Cadillac Rotary club is funding the fireplace, bike/ski racks, gear boxes and potential solar lighting.  

Received a grant from the DALMAC Fund for $2,000 to fund the Bike FixIt Station and bike pump.  

Cole Mortenson who is pursuing Eagle Scout will be fundraising for the wood and building of 6 picnic tables.  Bear Claw Epic is also help fund this project. Table Jacks have been ordered and will be delivered this week.  Picnic tables will be built and in by mid July at the latest.  

Working with the Cadillac Area Visitor's Bureau and the Missaukee County on helping to fundraise for the building of 11 miles of single track.  Our first meeting is next Tuesday to discuss.  

Cadillac Pathway Winter Sports Trail:

I am in need of more groomers.  Looking for at least a one day commitment each week to successfully groom for the upcoming season.  Looking for 2-3 people. Grooming is about a 2 - 2 1/2 hour commitment. 

TCTN - Update

1)  MSB was a bumpy one in terms of course marking.  McLains declined

doing it for 2020 unless NMMBA reclaims ultimate responsibility.  In other

words, McLains will mark the course (after NMMBA designs, builds and

pre-marks), but will not do the night before or race day marking and

pre-ride checking.  This responsibility falls back to NMMBA.  We should

discuss.

2)  The Strombolis Lake trail build (4.2 miles) is complete.  Final trail

proposal submitted.  Huge thank you to all that pitched in.

3)  TCTF course is laid out and mapped.  One section remains to be

finished.  Waiting on DNR blessing.  Obviously, ten million more things

need to be done before the race can happen, but progress continues to be

made.

4)   The TCTN grand vision was shared with Scott Slavin at the DNR and he offered his suggestions to making it a reality.  The GOREC property ties

into our grand vision.  Dollar Lake and Gorec will be our next trail

development sites.

5)  The Jack Kline Memorial event is tentatively scheduled for July 21st

(the day after trail fest) at the Ranch.  Working on cost packages with the

Ranch now as we have already booked and paid for some of the services at the ranch.  They are working with me on it. Should NMMBA offer some

financial assistance for this event?

6)  The City Bike and NMMBA  co-branding umbrella is finished and in use.

This is a quick and easy attachment to the hitch of a pick up and offers a

bike work stand integrated within it.  Makes quite a visual statement at

the trail heads.