NMMBA Board of Directors Meeting - May

NMMBA Board of Directors Meeting

Date and location: Wednesday, May 8th, 2019. Keen loft

Board present: Chad Jordan, Tom White, Kim White, Tim Reicha III, Mike Walters, Cotipaxi Sprattmoran and Steve Mentzer

Board absent: Michele Andrews, John Roe, Dustin Webb, Tim Jenema and Don Clewley

Guests: Cody Sovis, Steve Petoskey and Doris Petoskey

Chad opened the meeting at 6:34 p.m.

Quorum present.

Agenda item Evart Trail moved to first item.

Evart Trail:

Steve and Doris Petoskey were introduced as guests. Citizens of Evart and owners of a bicycle repair shop, Steve and Doris are interested in developing a portion of the Pere Marquette forest west of Evart for mountain biking. They have approached NMMBA as to the best process to realize their dream.

Steve had initiated talks with Scott Slavin of the DNR and he recommended they contact NMMBA.

The proposed trails are located north of the US 10/M-140 intersection. The number of acres has not been determined but all fall within state lands.

A local company Evart Ventra, LLC has committed to provide funding for the project.

Questions arose as to what other user groups were present and what bodies of water were in the vicinity.

As far as Steve knew there were no dedicated ORV groups that used the lands/trails regularly and other than a few streams, no large bodies of water existed.

There was additional discussion as to soil types, trail miles, etc.

Tom then guided Steve on the best way to proceed.

Contact other user groups and see what plans they may have for that area, talk to the DNR and ask what their plans are: logging, etc.

Get the okay from other groups and the DNR’s Forestry division.

Steve and Doris will gather information and report back at a future meeting.

MMBA Update:

Kim had a short update to present. With the departure of Melissa Werkman the MMBA lacks an Executive Director(ED). This has caused the organization’s strategic plan to be unobtainable.

There is a need to work with committees in Lansing to advance our cause.

One person on the forefront is Jason Aric Jones of the PotoMBA.

There has been some new Director’s orders about to come down that will give conservation officers a clearer enforcement of certain rules.

Those particular rules were not available as of this meeting.

Certainly more to follow.

Financials:

As always Kim presented the complete financial picture for NMMBA.

Not much discussion came about but some of the figures presented include:

NMMBA Checking acct. Balance which stood at $49,290.84. In addition, Bear Claw Epic(BCE) account balance is $32,541.71

Membership:

Just a reminder that to serve on the board one must maintain their NMMBA membership.

By the end of 2019 members will have the option to renew automatically.

VST Pavilion:

John and Chad had met with a potential donor for the pavilion. A donation figure will be agreed upon.

Cherry Capital Cycling Club has also expressed interest in helping to defray the costs.

Costs associated with the project were discussed.

An engineered site plan should run about $2000. Tim J. will have connections in regards to this.

Dave Heim, a local architect had offered to help as well.

It was decided to get Tim J. to solicit engineers and report back to the board.

A site for the pavilion has always been assumed. DNR (within the DNR there have been two suggested locations)  Based on trails merging, etc they have advocated it being located off the parking lot in the woods.

Pavilion committee which consists of Chad, Mike, Tom and Tim J. will determine location among other aspects.

More to follow.

Hayo-Went-Ha Camp:

Hayo-went-ha Camp is located in Antrim county. They have exchanged emails with NMMBA with tentative plans to meet in person. They are looking for advice/direction on building trails within the camp’s property. With the possibility of a connector to Glacial Hills.

More to follow when/if that meeting takes place.

But talked turned to our role and expenses put out for these requests to design and build trail. And more importantly how much will be asked of the organization(s) soliciting our services.

Will it be pay to play?

The Singletrack Love Machine(SLM) will play a pivotal role.

All monies generated by the SLM will go to pay our expenses.

Our own trails will pay a maintenance fee.

Trail building outside our organization will pay additional expenses.

In addition to providing their own ditch witch.

Design fees was also brought up.

What exactly do we charge and how is that money treated?

Donations or revenue?

Does Tom’s role as a  trail designer be looked at separately?

Does he get paid but donate back dollars to NMMBA?

Bit cloudy at this point. More to follow.

Branding:

Chad led the discussion on this.

He states that Nate wants to get moving on this new branding and partner outreach enterprise.

Board reviewed a rough draft of a compensation agreement drawn up by Mark Mueller. This agreement would be between Nate Farran and NMMBA.

Question as to how Nate is compensated and how is NMMBA get their portion of the dollars. Retail or wholesale?

Talk of new memberships with each bike sale through the local bike shops(LBS). Guided tours to new riders.

With the potential of hundreds of new members how do we keep them in front of us? Emails? Lots to work out.

Tim R. to get with Mark Mueller to iron out a few sections of the document.

TART/Acme bike park:

With the absence of Tim J. at tonight’s meeting, there was no formal update given.

It was decided that the committee consisting of Tim J., Tom and Kim would meet with TART.

Roundtable:

Cody Sprattmoran talked of the June bike skills clinic to be held at Palmer Woods. $75 for entry either of the two days designated. Saturday will be for those who identify as women and Sunday will be open to all. Clinic goes from 9am to 5pm daily. Lunch will be provided. Two renowned instructors, Lori Hauswirth and Lianna Miller will provide instruction.

Cody Sovis let the board know that some registrations are coming in for TCTF.

Talk of the tent being present for Mud Sweat and Beers. Merch sales, flyers for TCTF and handouts also will be on hand.

Meeting adjourned at 8:40pm.

Submitted by

Steve Mentzer, secretar

Committee updates:

Fatbike Grooming:

We are at the time of year that we forget about winter grooming. Happy Spring.

However, the planning for next winter is already started. Here is what I have going.

1) Groomer gifts are ordered. Waiting on Nate, TC will pay for all trails

2) Grooming survey in review

3) Snowmobile and equipment maintenance in process - all equipment should be prepared for next season by the end of June. Oil change, minor repairs, inspection and modifications.

4) I am ordering a new drag for TC Tidd Tech Narrow Gauge groomer with flaps and having flaps put on our V-Plow.

4) I am meeting with the DNR on Tuesday May 21. I need to have the Cadillac's expenditures and Northport's expenditures and log (should include total mileage and volunteer hours).

5) After TCTF we need to plan a Fatbike Committee meeting. I can collect unsold badge then. We will discuss plans for next season and badge sales structure.

6) Norte is starting a Fatbike program. (They will have a fleet of FB for kids to use)

Thanks,

John Roe

TCTN Updates......

- MSB course received rave reviews.  The marking had issues, but upon

deeper analysis it was only a few people leading large groups off course.

Some great corrective actions are already in place and I think 2020 will be

even better.

- We just got DNR approval today for the final extensions on the VST and

the complete build out of the Strombolis area.  By TCTF we will have 80% of

it done and in the event.  The approvals today will bring the VST total

distance to 21 miles.....up from the lowly 15.5 it is today.  This is a

huge day.

- TCTF sign up is going.  The event application turned in.  Lots of work

happening daily.  One last attempt to get Norte on board for this year.

Two solid starts have failed.  Have one more possible option cooking.

- A motorized wheelbarrow and equipment hauler has been ordered using

private funds.  This will allow us to carry all our equipment (including

the stump grinder) deep into the forest to fix problem areas.  This will be

a huge help.

- The Love Machine is still on track for mid July delivery.  Once the machine is tested and proven, it will be put to use reconditioning old trail, building the extension on the VST, improving the Iceman course and hopefully other user groups can use it to recondition their trails too….such as the ORV (mainly dirt bike) trails.  

Glacial Hills

  • We had 25 volunteers attend the April 20 work day and work the entire 31 miles of trail

  • Our shared employee with Antrim Conservation District began working at Glacial Hills last week, April 30. Zach will be working Monday and Thursday each week, coordinating efforts with our volunteer maintenance crew plus maintaining the buildings and infrastructure.

  • The trails are in great shape and there are wildflowers everywhere, get out there!