September Board Meeting Minutes

NMMBA  Board of Directors Meeting 

Date and Location: Wednesday September 12th, 2018 Keen Loft

Board Present: Chad Jordan, Tim Reicha III, Tom White, John Roe, Michele Andrews, Cotopaxi Sprattmoran, Steve Mentzer, Mike Walters, Kim White and Tim Jenema.

Board Absent: Dustin Webb and Don Clewley

Chad called the meeting to order at 6:35 p.m.

Before heading into the agenda Chad recognized newest board member Tim Jenema and also Tim Reicha as NMMBA V.P.

With a motion from Tim R. and a 2nd from Tom the minutes from August were approved. Unanimous vote.

 

Our mission statement was a part of our agenda. And will appear on all future agendas. A slight revision bringing attention to our trail building will be inserted.

 

Michele started out with great news. Her trail proposal which had been awaiting approval from the DNR was approved after 2 years!!

 

Online Voting:

Some topics that need approval that fall in between scheduled meetings require a majority vote to proceed. This requires online discussion and voting.

Topics are outlined with brief discussion then a motion is made. Further discussion then occurs. A 2nd  to the motion is then made.

Chad then makes the call as to when a vote is made. These email threads should be confined to the topic and nothing else.

 

Bear Claw Epic:

Michele stated that all is set for the race. A 10 x 10 tent is needed. Also feather banners would look great as well.

Merchandise to be sold at event.

Michele expressed a need for an announcer. Some names were suggested. Among those were Tim Brick.

 

In other Pathway news the pavillion architectural drawings were still being reviewed.

 

 

 

Camp Greilick Update:

Tim and Chad met with Nick Killian. They currently have a 3 mile walking trail now. Lot's of potential to build additional trail and connect to VST via Muncie Lakes trail.

Many amenities for a variety of activities.

 

Some questions came up as to what is expected of NMMBA and what do we expect in return for our services.

 

Do we just build trail and walk away? Or do we dictate when we use the trail? When connected we could host many events from CG.

 

And would we serve on an advisory committee to decide future events?

 

And should we enter into further discussions with Nick to develop a trail network. Yes!

Committee formed. Cotopaxi S., Tom, John and Dan Novak.

 

Pure Michigan Trail Designation:

There were some discussions with Melissa Werkman and because of concerns this topic was tabled.

 

Emergency Response Plan for VST:

All felt this was critical to have a plan in place.

Anything from downed trees to someone needing attention requires a precise mapping system.

Iceman and Vasa Ski club have similar plans in place.

 

Pat Parker from G.T. Fire Dept. has a GPS device to help with mapping. Downside is for it to be effective one can go no faster than 6 mph.

 

More to follow.

 

Naming the Unmarked trails:

What do we call this trail system?

Traverse City Trail System

Traverse City Trail Network

Pere Marquette Forest Trails.

 

Decision can be made over the winter.

Excel spreadsheet to be accessible by all.

 

 

 

Tom:

Tom had a handout (attached) of various projects and task trackers.

 

Discussion centered around TCTF and possible venue change and sponsor dollars.

 

It was agreed that NMMBA was committed to the Ranch for 2019. If any venue change would be made it would not come until 2020. But we would need a new model if venue changed.

Also brought up was that if race/tour switched to Sunday, Ranch waives fees. So in an effort to cut costs we could switch to Sunday.

 

Sponsor fees and how that money is spent was also discussed. Tom's model was that fees would decline thereby making cost cutting efforts paramount.

 

Also talked about was beer/food sales.

 

Discussion centered around a Winter Fat bike event at the Ranch. Some discussion.

Tim R. made a motion to hold a Fat Bike event this winter, Cotopaxi 2nd the motion. Unanimous vote. Details to be worked out by November meeting.

 

The Summer Fiesta was a huge success and will be an annual event. Time Trial format to remain.

 

Membership committee to hear study results. Kim spearheading this.

 

VST MOU. Kasey along with Scott Slavin from the DNR have prioritized this and Chad will follow up with any new info.

 

Website update: Questions board members are getting are “why are the trails not listed on our website?”

 

We can start with core trails then add Vasa(TART). Drop down links would identify BCE, Glacial Hills, Bike Leelanau and VST.

 

Was decided to continue this discussion online.

 

Another marketing tool was brochures. Seasonal brochures promoting summer and winter biking options.

 

 

 

 

Winter Badge Program:

Badge program specifics to be hashed out by committee.

 

Costs of badges to the public were discussed.

Currently Glacial Hills charges $39.00. Cadillac Pathway charges $25.00 and TC charges $60.00

 

It was decided that badge sales for Bike Leelanau would not go far in sustaining their expenses so they can be lumped into TC in that regard. Still to be sold for $39.00

 

Any combo sales would result in $10.00 off total. CP to mull over raising their price to match GH at $39.00

 

John to order 500 badges.

 

Some brought up a possible design change to the grooming badges. One idea was a “mother” badge with room for 4 stickers depicting the four different trail systems.

 

Questions arose as to how these would be distributed to the trails and who would absorb discounts on multiple badge sales. Each trail would absorb the discount?

 

More discussion needed.

 

Bike Leelanau:

Talk of hiring an Executive Director. Would be a paid position. This person would be responsible for grant writing among other duties.

 

Decisions needed on payroll, benefits, multi-year commitment. What expenses are reimbursed: cell phone, travel, etc.

 

Bentonville MTB Summit:

Cotopaxi S. and Chad are willing to attend on behalf of NMMBA. Then present upon their return. Summit is In October. Also going is Brian Beauchamp of TART.

Cotopaxi and Chad are looking to have some of their expenses reimbursed.

 Discussion as to mode of travel, entry fee, housing, etc.

 

Kim made a motion to budget $700.00 for each. Tim R. with the 2nd.

Unanimous vote.

 

 

 

 

 

MTB Summit in Grand Rapids:

Event will be the week after Iceman. Tuesday through Thursday November 6th – 8th.

 

Cost is $175.00 each. Rooms are $142.00 apiece but better deals can be had.

6-7 board members may attend. More to follow on this.

 

Attachments:

GH Update:

Glacial Hills update:

·     e-bike sign installation happening (see attachment)

·     building moving paid for and waiting to be scheduled for vault toilets/changing rooms and new ATV shed

·     Glacial Hills Challenge, 303 racers, up from 235, $2015 check received

·     also received several donations from racers to the ATV challenge

·     consider course change/ alternate direction for 2019

·     grant writing: any small grants on anyone's radar? Skills clinic, bike fix stations (4)

·     ATV challenge update $11,501 received, ATV and shed purchased

·     ten new marked loops being mapped and installed this fall

 

Bike Leelanau Update:

Now on to the Bike Leelanau notes:

Flow Track has made huge headway at Palmer Woods and the trails are beyond beautiful. A volunteer orientation is scheduled for this Thursday from 6-8 to get volunteers on-boarded and ready to go. There will be a trail opening party at some point in October, keep an ear out for dates and more info.

 

We have been given approval to build an initial 1 mile of multi-use trail at Provemont Pond just outside of Lake Leelanau.

Thanks to Chad, the application for a permit for the 2018/2019 winter sports trail has been sent in. We are waiting to hear back from the DNR regarding the position.

As officially written in the Leelanau Enterprise, the National Park Service has the environmental assessment for the Echo Valley Trails on the books for the 2019 fiscal year.

The Leelanau Bike Library is almost out of bikes. We are currently accepting donations for more balance bikes. Huge thanks to Suttons Bay Bikes for matching donations up to 10 balance bikes. Anyone you know want to donate a kids bike in good condition?

 

Pending approval from Suttons Bay Township, the Leelanau Bike Library will move from Chad's barn to a Suttons Bay Township Park. Thanks to Bahle's Storage of Suttons Bay for donating the mobile storage units.

 

We are looking at a match grant from the Michigan Economic Development Corporation to build a pump track at Herman Park in Lake Leelanau.

Submitted by

Steve Mentzer, secretary

 

 

 

 

 

 

 NMMBA  Board of Directors Meeting

 

Date and Location: Wednesday September 12th, 2018 Keen Loft

Board Present: Chad Jordan, Tim Reicha III, Tom White, John Roe, Michele Andrews, Cotopaxi Sprattmoran, Steve Mentzer, Mike Walters, Kim White and Tim Jenema.

Board Absent: Dustin Webb and Don Clewley

Chad called the meeting to order at 6:35 p.m.

Before heading into the agenda Chad recognized newest board member Tim Jenema and also Tim Reicha as NMMBA V.P.

With a motion from Tim R. and a 2nd from Tom the minutes from August were approved. Unanimous vote.

Our mission statement was a part of our agenda. And will appear on all future agendas. A slight revision bringing attention to our trail building will be inserted.

Michele started out with great news. Her trail proposal which had been awaiting approval from the DNR was approved after 2 years!!

Online Voting:

Some topics that need approval that fall in between scheduled meetings require a majority vote to proceed. This requires online discussion and voting.

Topics are outlined with brief discussion then a motion is made. Further discussion then occurs. A 2nd  to the motion is then made.

Chad then makes the call as to when a vote is made. These email threads should be confined to the topic and nothing else

Bear Claw Epic:

Michele stated that all is set for the race. A 10 x 10 tent is needed. Also feather banners would look great as well.

Merchandise to be sold at event.

Michele expressed a need for an announcer. Some names were suggested. Among those were Tim Brick.

In other Pathway news the pavillion architectural drawings were still being reviewed.

Camp Greilick Update:

Tim and Chad met with Nick Killian. They currently have a 3 mile walking trail now. Lot's of potential to build additional trail and connect to VST via Muncie Lakes trail.

Many amenities for a variety of activities.

Some questions came up as to what is expected of NMMBA and what do we expect in return for our services.

Do we just build trail and walk away? Or do we dictate when we use the trail? When connected we could host many events from CG.

And would we serve on an advisory committee to decide future events?

And should we enter into further discussions with Nick to develop a trail network. Yes!

Committee formed. Cotopaxi S., Tom, John and Dan Novak.

 

Pure Michigan Trail Designation:

There were some discussions with Melissa Werkman and because of concerns this topic was tabled.

Emergency Response Plan for VST:

All felt this was critical to have a plan in place.

Anything from downed trees to someone needing attention requires a precise mapping system.

Iceman and Vasa Ski club have similar plans in place.

Pat Parker from G.T. Fire Dept. has a GPS device to help with mapping. Downside is for it to be effective one can go no faster than 6 mph.

More to follow

Naming the Unmarked trails:

What do we call this trail system?

Traverse City Trail System

Traverse City Trail Network

Pere Marquette Forest Trails.

 

Decision can be made over the winter.

Excel spreadsheet to be accessible by all.

Tom:

Tom had a handout (attached) of various projects and task trackers.

Discussion centered around TCTF and possible venue change and sponsor dollars.

It was agreed that NMMBA was committed to the Ranch for 2019. If any venue change would be made it would not come until 2020. But we would need a new model if venue changed.

Also brought up was that if race/tour switched to Sunday, Ranch waives fees. So in an effort to cut costs we could switch to Sunday.

Sponsor fees and how that money is spent was also discussed. Tom's model was that fees would decline thereby making cost cutting efforts paramount.

Also talked about was beer/food sales.

Discussion centered around a Winter Fat bike event at the Ranch. Some discussion.

Tim R. made a motion to hold a Fat Bike event this winter, Cotopaxi 2nd the motion. Unanimous vote. Details to be worked out by November meeting.

The Summer Fiesta was a huge success and will be an annual event. Time Trial format to remain.

Membership committee to hear study results. Kim spearheading this.

VST MOU. Kasey along with Scott Slavin from the DNR have prioritized this and Chad will follow up with any new info.

Website update: Questions board members are getting are “why are the trails not listed on our website?”

We can start with core trails then add Vasa(TART). Drop down links would identify BCE, Glacial Hills, Bike Leelanau and VST.

Was decided to continue this discussion online

Another marketing tool was brochures. Seasonal brochures promoting summer and winter biking options.

Winter Badge Program:

Badge program specifics to be hashed out by committee.

Costs of badges to the public were discussed.

Currently Glacial Hills charges $39.00. Cadillac Pathway charges $25.00 and TC charges $60.00

It was decided that badge sales for Bike Leelanau would not go far in sustaining their expenses so they can be lumped into TC in that regard. Still to be sold for $39.00

Any combo sales would result in $10.00 off total. CP to mull over raising their price to match GH at $39.00

John to order 500 badges.

Some brought up a possible design change to the grooming badges. One idea was a “mother” badge with room for 4 stickers depicting the four different trail systems.

Questions arose as to how these would be distributed to the trails and who would absorb discounts on multiple badge sales. Each trail would absorb the discount?

More discussion needed.

Bike Leelanau:

Talk of hiring an Executive Director. Would be a paid position. This person would be responsible for grant writing among other duties.

Decisions needed on payroll, benefits, multi-year commitment. What expenses are reimbursed: cell phone, travel, etc.

 

Bentonville MTB Summit:

Cotopaxi S. and Chad are willing to attend on behalf of NMMBA. Then present upon their return. Summit is In October. Also going is Brian Beauchamp of TART.

Cotopaxi and Chad are looking to have some of their expenses reimbursed.

 Discussion as to mode of travel, entry fee, housing, etc.

Kim made a motion to budget $700.00 for each. Tim R. with the 2nd.

Unanimous vote.

MTB Summit in Grand Rapids:

Event will be the week after Iceman. Tuesday through Thursday November 6th – 8th.

Cost is $175.00 each. Rooms are $142.00 apiece but better deals can be had.

6-7 board members may attend. More to follow on this.

GH Update:

Glacial Hills update:

·     e-bike sign installation happening (see attachment)

·     building moving paid for and waiting to be scheduled for vault toilets/changing rooms and new ATV shed

·     Glacial Hills Challenge, 303 racers, up from 235, $2015 check received

·     also received several donations from racers to the ATV challenge

·     consider course change/ alternate direction for 2019

·     grant writing: any small grants on anyone's radar? Skills clinic, bike fix stations (4)

·     ATV challenge update $11,501 received, ATV and shed purchased

·     ten new marked loops being mapped and installed this fall

 

Bike Leelanau Update:

Now on to the Bike Leelanau notes:

Flow Track has made huge headway at Palmer Woods and the trails are beyond beautiful. A volunteer orientation is scheduled for this Thursday from 6-8 to get volunteers on-boarded and ready to go. There will be a trail opening party at some point in October, keep an ear out for dates and more info.

We have been given approval to build an initial 1 mile of multi-use trail at Provemont Pond just outside of Lake Leelanau.

Thanks to Chad, the application for a permit for the 2018/2019 winter sports trail has been sent in. We are waiting to hear back from the DNR regarding the position.

As officially written in the Leelanau Enterprise, the National Park Service has the environmental assessment for the Echo Valley Trails on the books for the 2019 fiscal year.

The Leelanau Bike Library is almost out of bikes. We are currently accepting donations for more balance bikes. Huge thanks to Suttons Bay Bikes for matching donations up to 10 balance bikes. Anyone you know want to donate a kids bike in good condition?

Pending approval from Suttons Bay Township, the Leelanau Bike Library will move from Chad's barn to a Suttons Bay Township Park. Thanks to Bahle's Storage of Suttons Bay for donating the mobile storage units.

We are looking at a match grant from the Michigan Economic Development Corporation to build a pump track at Herman Park in Lake Leelanau.

 

 

 

 

Submitted by

Steve Mentzer, secretary