June Board Meeting Minutes

NMMBA Board of Directors Meeting

Date and Location: June 13th, 2018, Keen loft

Board present: Chad Jordan, Tom White, Kim White, John Roe, Tim Reicha, Steve Mentzer, Michele Andrews and Coti Sprattmoran

Board absent: Mike Walters, Dustin Webb and Don Clewley

Guests: Cody Sovis and Kasey Mahoney

Chad opened the meeting at 6:34 p.m

Previous meetings minutes were approved.

Also noted was the email vote to proceed with the Consumers Energy Foundation Grant.

Chad opened it for both discussion and a vote.

Majority yea votes. Tim to proceed.

Master's project Update:

Kasey as part of her grant writing class in her Master's program has offered to write a proposal with NMMBA in mind.

This proposal would create a sub contracting position that would be funded for 2000 hrs. at an hourly rate ranging from $17-$20/hour.

The position would be of a grant writer. This position would be responsible for creating capacity building grants for NMMBA that would keep the flow of dollars coming in.

Kasey is lacking NMMBA's  financial info to complete her grant. Kim to provide the missing pieces.

Specific duties of this position were discussed. They would be responsible for writing grants to fund our communications and outreach capabilities.

Financials:

Kim presented the organizations financials for review/discussion.

She indicated that Glacial Hills(G.H.) had been set up with a checking account much like Bike Leelanau(B.L.)

Total checking/saving balances for the association equals $32,503.86

Merchandise:

Tim presented the report on mechandise sales/inventory to date.

T-shirts are coming in. Done in three different colors; Red,Blue and Green.

Had samples of stickers and water bottles to show. Both of these items will be added to the webstore. At this time all sales are logged into one account. Down the road a percentage of sales will go back into that particular trail account. This way when marketed it can be stated that proceeds go right back into trail maintenance, etc.

Plan is to have merchandise at all three races; TCTF, Glacial Hills and Bear Claw Epic.

Merchandise will be marketed in two phases.

Phase 1: Stickers, bottles, hats and shirts

Phase 2: Arm warmers, buffs and beanies.

Different options regarding shipping costs were discussed.

TCTF:

Tom brought all up to speed on the progress of TCTF.

Tom had a handout outlining duties associated with the event. Everything from Race director to Safety coordinator to Event site, sponsorship, aid stations, etc.

A digital version of the list will be put out to all. To allow for editing.

Discussion as to food. If food is donated we can realize a few dollars from this.

Also discussed was location of tent in proximity to merchandise table, etc.

Tim to coordinate the kid's race.

Chad to get with Paul Britten re: tent graphics. New logo.

Mentzer report:

Steve stated he was contacted by the Rotary in regards to possibly developing some mtb trails in the Greilick Outdoor Recreation Center.

Contact person is Nick Killian.

Some discussion as to events, layout, etc.

John to contact Nick and report back.

Steve also brought an idea to the board regarding a show of support for Dan Morley.

He indicated that McLain's Race team had purchased shirts in support of Dan's fight with recent health issues.

The idea being that we could purchase shirts to sell or ask for donations with the proceeds going to the Morley family. These would be marketed at TCTF.

Discussion ensued regarding marketing. Suggestion was that a story about Dan would go far in helping to market the shirts.

Steve made a motion to budget $350.00 towards the purchase of the shirts. Coti 2nd. Unanimous vote.

Cadillac pavilion update:

Michele brought the board up to speed on this project.

Discussion as to who had 1st preference in regards to use.

She also had several copies of the Gift & Acceptance agreement.

Chad motioned to accept the Gift & Acceptance agreement in it's present form.

Coti 2nd. Unanimous vote.

Michele also talked about the particulars in regards to construction codes of the pavilion.

BCE:

Nothing new to report

ReViSiT:

Mike was absent but did submit a written report.

Built and opened the re-route between 10-11.

Built and soft opened the re-route around lake S-hole.

Strombolis Lake connector has been completed with a mini loop back to the saplings section.

Continue to massage the VST in certain areas.

Grooming/Badge sales:

John led a discussion as to grooming for this upcoming winter.

He also had emailed to all a few options for badge sales for the coming season.

Option 1:

TC WST $60

CadillacWST/Leelanau/Glacial each $40

$10 Discount for each add'l badge

Work on combining TART and Timber ridge

Option 2:

One combined badge for $100. All monies goes into one kitty. Committee decides on a minimum standard for equipment needs based on trail mileage. All trails draw form the kitty for operations.

Work on combined badge for TART and TR.

Trail Series:

CPS:Championship Point Series. Do we pursue this?

What does it entail? Restrictions? More questions to consider.

Membership:

Committee has been formed.

Discussion as to what software platform would be used to manage it.

Options discussed were Wild Apricot, Sales Force and Kim to look into Square Space.

CCCC Grant:

Pavilion slated to be built in 2019. Need to pursue other funding this winter.

Roundtable:

Women's Grit clinics coming up on July 7th & 8th. Need at least 11 people each day to make it happen. Find ways to get the word out.

Pride ride sponsored by Suttons Bay Bikes takes place this Saturday in Suttons Bay at 1 p.m. 9 Beans Row providing food. Slow ride out to Tandem Ciders.

Family rides from 45North winery on Sunday June 17th.

 

And Bike Lelanau is happy to report that Palmer Woods is happening!

Tim finished off the meeting discussing the recent improvements at the Vandermark trailhead at Glacial Hills.

Meeting adjourned at 9:04 p.m.

Submitted by Steve Mentzer, secretary