October Board Meeting Minutes

NMMBA Board of Director's Meeting

 

Date and location: Wednesday October 10th, 2018, Keen loft

Board present: Chad Jordan, Kim White, John Roe, Cotopaxi Sprattmoran, Steve Mentzer and Mike Walters

 

Board absent: Tim Reicha III, Tom White, Michelle Andrews, Tim Jenema, Don Clewley and Dustin Webb.

 

No guests

Chad called the meeting to order at 6:41 p.m.

A brief discussion concerning online voting. Topics voted on included the previous month's meeting minutes, naming of the trail network as TCTN(Traverse City Trail Network) and purchasing banner flags for events.

 

John Roe:

John discussed grooming badges. Badges are to be sold at the upcoming Vasa Ski swap being held at Brick Wheels on Saturday October 13th.

With each sale a new name is added to the grooming reports. John to convert to Mail Chimp for compiling these lists and sending these reports out.

Some discussion as to how each trail report is sent.

Among the questions were; does each trail send out it's own report or does one report cover all trail conditions? Best to send one report and include each trail condition.

Stickers are to be given with each trails badge sold. It was decided to give a $10 discount on multiple badge sales.

500 badges have been ordered. Stickers for each trail number 125 except fot TC which was doubled to 250.

Cotopaxi Sprattmoran:

Cotopaxi discussed the acquisitions of area parks by Garfield Township. Among those were the Traverse City Light & Power(TCL&P) 50 acre parcel that would be a connector between Hickory Hills the Commons.

Another parcel was the Ransom parcel of 18 acres.

Discussion centered on the connector to Hickory Hills and the Commons. In the past the relationship between NMMBA and representatives of the Commons was less than ideal. It was decided to form a committee to work along side the Commons group to fortify a better working relationship.

That committee is comprised of Chad, Cotopaxi and Steve.

Also noted was an opportunity to guide trail builders at Hickory. We would be only an advisory body not the actual builders.

 

Safety issues:

Last month it was discussed  of an ongoing need for an emergency response system. Pat Parker from GT Fire Dept. had ways to map the trails.

Tonight we emphasized the need for NMMBA to set the protocol. Set the example.

That safety issue goes all the way down to our volunteers. We need to have each volunteer sign a DNR waiver before starting any work.

Talk of linking a waiver to our website.

On a related note there was to be a mock rescue operation performed on Sunday October 14th in Kalkaska.

Beard of Zeus:

Sponsorship up for grabs. 4 race series to include: Vasa, Dogman, Fat Chance and Beard of Zeus. March 3rd is the date that has been set for this race.

Tim R. and John to head this up. Tim R. to create a spreadsheet on expenses/revenue for this event.

On a related note it was thrown out the possibility of acquiring our own timing equipment. Would this be a cost savings as timing companies generally charge upwards of $1500.00+ per event.

Acme bike park:

Moving forward. Not rushing things.

Cadillac Pavilion:

Plans have been approved. Should be a structure to last many, many years. A lasting legacy

A committee to see this project through was formed. It includes Chad, Cotopaxi and John.

It was suggested that in the future, committees be made up of members. Board is being spread thin.

Insurance:

It was noted and discussed as to the additional equipment that has been acquired recently. These items need to be added to our policy. And does location of said equipment need to be designated for claims purposes.

Steve to reach out to Larkin and research this.

Financials:

$2500.00 covered needs for Kalkaska signage.

Some discussion as to designated trailheads in Kalkaska.

 

VST ride direction:

Mike talked about alternate ride directions re:VST. Riding it backwards brings an all new perspective to the trail and creates more even wear.

Tom advocated starting this in 2020 as it would coincide with Mud, Sweat & Beers.

 

MTB Summit:

John to print and mount posters for this event. Discussion as to if each trail submitted a poster and what content/message was to be conveyed.

Discussion to continue online. Kim to spearhead this project along.

Attachments:

Reports submitted by Tim Reicha II

Glacial Hills

·    Vault toilets/changing rooms are installed

·    new door hardware, paint, finishing touches are ongoing

·    Antrim Conservation District has begun landscaping around Eckhardt building, adding flowers in the spring (this looks great!)

·    New shed installed at Vandermark (for ATV/snowmobile), previous shed moved to Eckhardt (with Rokon/hand tools)

·    Temporary loop signage installation nearing completion, targeted to be done by fundraiser

·    October 21, 2-8pm permanent signage replacement fundraiser at Short's

·    2pm group ride at Orchard Hill, group hike at Eckhardt, 4-8 hang at Short's all food and bev proceeds got to GH

·    Grooming route meet up to be scheduled with groomers in the next two weeks

·    will need to clear trees from sections of two tracks

·    GH board received a 30 minute lecture from one angry ebike user at the Sept board meeting following installation of signage prohibiting ebike use

·    he stated he will be pulling his support as he "put money in the donation tube every time" he rode

Report submitted by Cotipaxi Sprattmoran

Bike Leelanau:

Palmer Woods: Nearing completion. We are putting together a trail opening party.

Provemont Pond: Received approval to build a 1 mile multi-use trail.

Leelanau State Park: Permit application sent in, there will be an open house October 15th where people talk to the DNR about the proposed trail. Trail work days need to be scheduled.

 

-

 

Cody

Meeting adjourned at 8:37 p.m.

Submitted by

Steve Mentzer, secretary